quick bottom end ?

5 replies to this topic
  • Theeebalz

Posted October 10, 2011 - 12:27 PM

i feel like i should know this, well theres a 2001 yz426f on craigslist for 500 bucks and he said it had a dropped rod, explain? could i get away with machining the crank and replacing the rod, pistons, and rings, etc? soooo just explain what has to be done in the prosess? thinking about buying as a project and turning a profit for my next bike on it..

• J_Daniels

Posted October 10, 2011 - 12:38 PM

A "dropped" rod is not a proper term. A "thrown" rod means there is a hole in the case and a noisy rod is just that- the engine runs but is noisy with bottom end knock. Best case, it'll need a new crank/rod combo and piston; you'll probably find a buch more wrong though, it goes with the territory. Beat up bikes with blown up motors are a dime a dozen, I'd hold out for a better model to scoop up cheap.

• downonmonday

Posted October 10, 2011 - 12:40 PM

If you have to ask about wanting to rebuild, you probably won't make a profit. My cousin buys blown up bikes/quads, rebuilds them, and then makes a profit on sales. But, he does have the tools and mechanical knowledge. A thrown rod = don't buy!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Theeebalz

Posted October 10, 2011 - 01:16 PM

well the guy used the weird term.. i usually use like well, theres a giant ass hole in the case. haha if he goes for 300 i'll get it for a part out, since the shocks were just rebuilt and everything else looks pretty fresh.

• Deadend

Posted October 10, 2011 - 02:02 PM

well the guy used the weird term.. i usually use like well, theres a giant ass hole in the case. haha if he goes for 300 i'll get it for a part out, since the shocks were just rebuilt and everything else looks pretty fresh.

i was going to say - if u can get it for 300, you could probably ebay the good parts left and make 200-300$ profit, assuming the stuff sells. Could take a month or more. Your time your call. I wouldnt bother

• Theeebalz

Posted October 10, 2011 - 06:10 PM

yea i've been looking for different forks and shock for my current beast so i have clickers and a more adjustable rear shock, meh, i'll drop it and laugh at the people wanting 1200 for a 98 rm..

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.