Air Filter Cleaning Tips??

5 replies to this topic
  • eBayThumper

Posted July 07, 2001 - 01:56 PM

Hey All,

What do you recommend for cleaning the air filter? I have some 'filter cleaner' but have heard other opinions in the past. Can't you just use mild detergent? Also, do you have to use grease at the outer edge/seal? Or can it just be the spray on filter oil?

Thanks as always!
Jason

• dhvann

Posted July 07, 2001 - 02:09 PM

I use brake parts cleaner to clean it out, and use a thin film of grease to seal it. I dont know if this the right way to do it, but it seems to work.

• MikeOK

Posted July 07, 2001 - 02:59 PM

First use mineral spirits to get the big gunk out, then any dish detergent to get the rest out. I always put grease on the seal too. I use the same stuff I put under fork dust seals- white lithium grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted July 07, 2001 - 07:34 PM

I like to use the No Toil system. I put some warm water in the garage sink with just a little dish soap. They come out as clean as if I used chemicals.

You do not have to grease the seal but it is added insurance. Just a light coat of any waterproof or good quality grease.

Ernie

• #1_Hit-man

Posted July 08, 2001 - 03:34 AM

PJ1 airfilter cleaner, soap & water to finish. Pro-seal in place of grease, works great. ~Hit-man~

------------------
00'YZ426F 00'XR50R LATER DAYS!!!

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 14, 2001 - 11:20 AM

I've tried both dish detergent and air filter cleaner and in my experience the air filter cleaner does a much much better job at disolving the air filter oil. Kinda pricy, but makes the job much easier. I have not tried other chemicals or detergents..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.