New bike-When to change oil

11 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted October 08, 2011 - 01:00 PM

I rode my new bike today just to get it kinda broke in. Rode it at our track here at the hose which is a pretty good track that is about a mile and 3 tenths long. Plenty of jumps in it like table tops double doubles and step ups and drop offs.

I put it to the test today and got in 1 hour of riding time and was wondering if that was long enough to change the oil that came in it from the factory.

I'm going riding again tomorrow at a different track and was just wanting to know if the first oil change should be done. Also When I change the oil I will be putting in a Rekluse EXP 2.0 clutch that has about 4 hours on it that came out of my 2010 bike.

• Ron731

Posted October 08, 2011 - 01:04 PM

I did mine on my new SX 250 after about hour or so.
Oil looked good but had a tad bit of metal on the drain plug.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted October 08, 2011 - 02:12 PM

I didn't know if an hour would be long enough at only one ride or if I should ride it again for a little longer.

I will be taking both my bikes tomorrow to the track cause I wanted to ride my 2010 with the set up I have on it now to see if it is all set up good.

I swapped out my Flexx bars from the 2010 to my new 2011 and put my old Vortex bars back on the 2011 and put the stock exhaust system back on the 2010 and put the FMF 4.1 full system on my 2011 which came off the 2010.

I should be able to get in another hour in on my New bike again tomorrow.

I would like to put the Rekluse in it for tomorrow but need to change the oil first. Wished I would have rode another half an hour today.

• Ron731

Posted October 08, 2011 - 02:22 PM

I would like to put the Rekluse in it for tomorrow but need to change the oil first. Wished I would have rode another half an hour today

If it was me I would change the oil and install the rekluse in it that way your all set to go for a bit. I also did my air filter was riding in part sand and filter was a tad bit dirty.
And I also checked all the bolts just to make sure they were ok.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted October 08, 2011 - 02:32 PM

Just looked in the manual about the break-in and said to change the oil after the first hour and 15 mins of riding. I mneed to ride for 15 more mins to be at par.

Guess an hour is good enough ....wouldn't ya say?

• Ron731

Posted October 08, 2011 - 02:36 PM

What kind of bike did you get?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mikeb12

Posted October 08, 2011 - 03:16 PM

i would change it for sure. I have not had the pleasure of a new dirt bike yet but have had new sportbikes. I always change the oil the first day after an hour of use or so. Granted, I am excessive when it comes to engine service, but I have never had an engine failure in a lot of years of hard riding.

as my old man always told me, oil is cheap insurance

• tribalbc

Posted October 08, 2011 - 04:05 PM

20 min is plenty for first break in change, the majority of the crap will show itself by then.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted October 08, 2011 - 07:02 PM

Good too know!.............I went ahead and changed the oil and filter. I use the stainless mesh oil filter by Ready Racing. I have three of them so when I change the oil I have one cleaned and ready.

I figured an hour of break-in was plenty. I went ahead and installed the Rekluse EXP 2.0 also. I'll set the gap in the morning before I leave to go to the track.

BTW......Its a 2011 YZ450

• Ron731

Posted October 09, 2011 - 05:10 AM

BTW......Its a 2011 YZ450

:thumbsup:

• motoxjeff

Posted October 09, 2011 - 06:26 AM

If it was me I would change the oil and install the rekluse in it that way your all set to go for a bit. I also did my air filter was riding in part sand and filter was a tad bit dirty.
And I also checked all the bolts just to make sure they were ok.

You can change the oil right away...it never hurts.

• jayfldog5897

Posted October 09, 2011 - 06:28 AM

Me and my dad always change the oil, change the air filter, grease everything, change the fuel and go over the bike before we ever take out a new bike and ride it. Are reasoning behind doing all this is to be sure everything on the bike is correct. You never know who put the bike together at the dealer and you don't know what type of oil or fuel they put into. Were very picky when it comes to those things.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.