To pipe or not to pipe?

2 replies to this topic
  • redmanrandyed

Posted September 18, 2003 - 01:30 PM

I am wondering about the benefits of "piping" my BRP. What are the benefits of piping BRP's? Is it mostly to reduce sound or are there other benefits? I am running the stock pipe now but am considering getting an aftermarket pipe. They are pretty pricey. :)

Thanks in advance

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • loufish

Posted September 18, 2003 - 03:52 PM

First of all you need to uncork the BRP,(I'm talking about power up) and to do that you must do something with the exhaust. You can buy the factory tip to bolt onto the stock muffler, you can run a 2" hole saw thru the stock tip(this will still give you a spark arrester)or buy a aftermarket muffler/spark arrester, or the last is to buy a complete exhaust that goes from the head all the way back.
I think you should look at your riding style, what type of riding you do, and what your wallet can handle, only then can you make a decision on what will work best for you.

• smashinz2002

Posted September 18, 2003 - 09:00 PM

Pros: Aftermarket pipes are lighter
They usually aim to flatten the power spread and
increase the mid-range and top-end power

Cons: They cost alot and are usually a lot louder
They usually tend to mellow out the low-end power
but not all of them mellow it out much, since there
is so much power available already.
Sometimes they don't fit very well.
Sometimes they tend to crack and leak depending on
the quality.
The power advantage is usually small and not much
of an improvement to a lot of riders

Overall, I've found that the stock pipes with the HRC exhaust tip provides good power, it's loud but not too loud,
and it won't break or fall apart. You can modify the HRC tip by cutting out the spark arrestor and internal baffle. This mod seems to give similar performance on the top end as an aftermarket pipe, and does increase the noise slightly. But it doesn't require repacking and it won't split at the seams or crack. And it's a LOT cheaper than an aftermarket pipe.
Just my opinions on the subject from experience. Good luck with it! :)

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.