Help please.... not runnning well after rejet

7 replies to this topic
  • born2hotrod

Posted October 06, 2011 - 11:47 AM

I've searched, researched and studied as best i could, and cannot figure out whats going on.

Recently bought and brought 2003 WR from ~7,000 elevation to ~ sea level. Rejetted and tuned carb to specs given to me by a supposed WR guru. (maybe he is and i just flubbed).
As of now, FCR has:
-170 Main
-45 pilot
-1.75 turns out on fuel/air screw
-55 leak jet
-heavy AP spring
-OBDUT needle 2nd clip from top

Starts fine, idles pretty well, even does ok when I blip the throttle a couple times (kinda like a double-blip). Still has bog when I go for single, full twist on throttle. Biggest problem happens when I crack throttle to off idle and it seriously bogs. Opening even more bogs it even more, and more just kills it out. I can rev it up with quick blips to get RPMS higher, then try and stabilize, but it just ends up bogging back down to point of dying even with the throttle in same position. Is it too lean? Too rich? Am I just retarded?:thumbsup:

Just need someones help.:smashpc: Any help would be awesome. Thanks for your time.

• Leardriver

Posted October 06, 2011 - 03:33 PM

The jetting looks plenty good.

Are you riding the bike when you do these throttle blips? What it does on the stand doesn't mean anything. The main jet could be a 165, but that won't affect the low end.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 06, 2011 - 03:36 PM

I've searched, researched and studied as best i could, and cannot figure out whats going on.

Recently bought and brought 2003 WR from ~7,000 elevation to ~ sea level. Rejetted and tuned carb to specs given to me by a supposed WR guru. (maybe he is and i just flubbed).
As of now, FCR has:
-170 Main
-45 pilot
-1.75 turns out on fuel/air screw
-55 leak jet
-heavy AP spring
-OBDUT needle 2nd clip from top

Starts fine, idles pretty well, even does ok when I blip the throttle a couple times (kinda like a double-blip). Still has bog when I go for single, full twist on throttle. Biggest problem happens when I crack throttle to off idle and it seriously bogs. Opening even more bogs it even more, and more just kills it out. I can rev it up with quick blips to get RPMS higher, then try and stabilize, but it just ends up bogging back down to point of dying even with the throttle in same position. Is it too lean? Too rich? Am I just retarded?:thumbsup:

Just need someones help.:smashpc: Any help would be awesome. Thanks for your time.

What's a 'heavy ap spring'?
Do you mean the diaphram spring, or the linkage detent spring?

You need to pull up your subframe, and watch the carb and apump squirt: it's probably clogged or partially clogged and you are getting very little squirt.

• born2hotrod

Posted October 06, 2011 - 07:40 PM

First, thanks for the replies...

Leardriver, unfortunately these are all on the stand. But, immediately before I posted these spec's, I had everything set the same except for the clip was 3rd from the top. I rode it down the street, and it was totally unrideable but better than what its at now.

Krannie, I mean heavier by stiffer linkage spring (the one thats supposed to take care of putting in an oring). Before I changed the leak jet I was getting fine squirt. Doesn't changing the leak jet just change the volume of the Squirt? The squirt timing was great before (pulled up the subframe and looked before changing leak jet)

The problem is a steady crack of the throttle. 1/8 bogs it steadily down. 1/4 bogs it till it dies. Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • born2hotrod

Posted October 06, 2011 - 08:17 PM

So i started thinking, and got to tinkering before noise complaints can be called in...... moved the clip to position 5 from 2 (richer, right?) and it doesnt bog at 1/8 throttle or 1/4 throttle now. Only be able to tell after i ride it tomorrow how well it is now. I'll try and look at the Jetting database here to see what others down here in Sacramento are running for jets. Thanks again guys for the help.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 07, 2011 - 05:41 AM

Where did you get that needle size? Never heard of it before.
You should be running the stock YZ450f (?) needle or the stock CRF450R needle (NCVS), if you are uncorked.

• toscaredtofly

Posted October 08, 2011 - 08:19 AM

im at 1000 feet elevation and uncorked im running a 175 main and 4th position from top on my needle for my elevation 162 was stock jet at my elevation i run 2.5 turns out on air screw and was dead on with air to fuel ratio. Ais block off kit is a nice upgrade if your bike was equipped with it. im not sure if 03 was im new to yamaha used to be a ktm guy.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 08, 2011 - 12:05 PM

So i started thinking, and got to tinkering before noise complaints can be called in...... moved the clip to position 5 from 2 (richer, right?) and it doesnt bog at 1/8 throttle or 1/4 throttle now. Only be able to tell after i ride it tomorrow how well it is now. I'll try and look at the Jetting database here to see what others down here in Sacramento are running for jets. Thanks again guys for the help.

You have to inspect the operation of the Acclerator pump, before you go any farther. Sounds like the squirt is hitting the slide...........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.