How reliable is the 10-12 450?

6 replies to this topic
  • DirtyBikeMike

Posted October 06, 2011 - 09:56 AM

I am looking for a new harescramble bike this spring. I know that the older Yami 450s have been known for there reliability, but how does the newer style engine compare? I am gonna purchase new, and I take excellant care of my bikes but reliability in the new 4 strokes are very important to me. any info would be appreciated. thanks.

• upnorthbacon

Posted October 06, 2011 - 10:38 AM

I don't think they made many changes to the bike so far, which is a good sign. I watched a ton of youtube reviews and remember one pro rider stating his buddy had something like 100 hours on his top end with nothing adjusted or replaced. I've been looking at a ton of bikes and I've heard very few issues with the new 450's, I think there was a post about the head or base gasket being too thin on the 2010's which was updated. It wasn't a huge issue but guys were leaking a tiny amount of coolant out of the weep hole due to it. If you search for the thread you'll find more about it.

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2011 - 11:56 AM

I think there was a post about the head or base gasket being too thin on the 2010's which was updated. It wasn't a huge issue but guys were leaking a tiny amount of coolant out of the weep hole due to it. If you search for the thread you'll find more about it.

It was the cam cover gasket, and it was too thick. All replacement parts are now the revised gasket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted October 06, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Working on these things everyday............Reliability is the reasonI chose the YZ over the other brands. They are simply the mmost reliable 450 4 stroke..

• BBrown626

Posted October 06, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Very reliable, except the transmission. I can't wait to finish rebuilding my engine so I can sell it!

• tech24

Posted October 07, 2011 - 04:01 AM

They are bullet proof IMO. Yeah there's been a few posts of trans issues but I don't see it being a common problem.....oh and you can set them on fire and they keep running too.....don't ask me how I know....pics coming soon.

• todds924

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:00 PM

Very reliable, except the transmission. I can't wait to finish rebuilding my engine so I can sell it!

C'mon Brent, i've seen you riding that thing at Perris........Looked like it was hauling ass to me.

I think you might of just got a "BAD" one.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.