tweaked steering ?

4 replies to this topic
  • jaybird67k

Posted July 05, 2001 - 05:12 PM

OK, here's the deal..........A while back I had a bad crash on a 75 foot table that wadded up my stock bars like a pretzel.
It tweeked my steering so I just re-aligned it and installed a new set of bars (awnser alumilight) every since then even the slightest fall and my steering is out of alignment again.......even if I just nose into the face of a small jump.
I was thinking that the steering rod is press fit into the bottom clamp and is now maybe a looser fit after the crash.
Is it press fit in the lower clamp ?
This is getting old , I have Moose bark busters on my bars ,can this extra leverege
be contributing to the bending of the bars and tweeking the steering ?
Do I need new clamps or what ?
Anyone had this problem...If so please help.
Thanks , Jason
# 67 Beaumont, Tx.

• yzernie

Posted July 05, 2001 - 08:12 PM

This sounds like your triple clamp pinch bolts are not tight enough. If they are, take the forks out of the clamps and clean the inside of the clamps where the forks ride. There may be some foreign substance that is causing them to twist. After the cleaning, use some emery cloth to roughen up the inside of the clamps where the forks ride. Use a top to bottom sanding motion. Don't grind out a bunch of metal but roughen up the surface.

Make sure the forks are free from debris..dirt, oil or whatever... where they ride in the clamps. There should be some slight ridges on the fork tubes...make sure those are clean all the way into the bottom of the ridges. Replace the forks and make sure you tighten the pinch bolts to torque specs. Don't forget to do each bolt twice...tighten the top one then the bottom, top & bottom again.

Your bars or bark busters should not be a part of this problem. The steering stem is pressed into the bottom triple clamp but even if it was a bit loose it should not cause this either. It probably would not hurt to check the torque on the stem nut while you are working on it.

Hope this helps you, Ernie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 06, 2001 - 02:58 AM

as Ernie said be sure you torque to spec on the forks! I have read on here that over tightening the tripple clamps can cause the forks to bind up. `

• jbird

Posted July 06, 2001 - 03:32 AM

I had this exact problem after a crash. Tweaked the alignment of the clamps. To straighten it I straddled the front wheel and twisted it back into shape. After I did this every little crash whould tweak the alignment again.
At the time I didn't know that this was a temp. fix. All I had to do was to loosen the pinch bolts, align the front end, then re-tighten the pinch bolts.
You probably already did this but just thought I would throw this out there just in case.
Jon

• yzernie

Posted July 09, 2001 - 07:23 PM

Jaybird67k,

Any luck with the suggestions?? Let us know.

Ernie

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.