ringnut wrench

5 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 05, 2001 - 08:07 AM

All,

Where did you guys find the ringnut wrench required for tightening the stearing stem bearings? Did anyone purchase this from the dealer, or have you all found a substitute tool to take its place?

Thanks!

• MotoStyle

Posted July 05, 2001 - 10:41 AM

SirT,

I use the neanderthal method. A hammer and a flat blade screwdriver. Since the ring doesn't have to be very tight due to the fact that the headset tightens when you torque the top triple clamp nut, no reason for a special tool. If it needs to be slightly tighter, I back the headset nut off (making sure that the top fork tube clamps are defintely loose - Last thing you tighten up) and just tap the ring in whichever direction you need it to go. Hope this helps.

• flyinguitars

Posted July 05, 2001 - 11:04 AM

Would this help? http://www.harborfre...temnumber=41243
Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted July 05, 2001 - 08:15 PM

Originally posted by MotoStyle:
I use the neanderthal method. A hammer and a flat blade screwdriver.

I did not know there was any other way!!!! :)

Ernie

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 06, 2001 - 02:56 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

flyinguitars, that set of wrenches would be perfect with the exception that I would like to be able to connect it to my torque wrench. The manual mentions something like first torquing it to 34nm, then back off one turn, then torque to 7nm (don't quote me on the numbers as I'm going from memory but this is the basic idea). Thanks for the ideas though, I may end up with those if I cannot find the other type. :)

• Thumper448

Posted July 06, 2001 - 06:06 AM

SirThumpalot,

You can purchase the Yamaha wrench from the dealer with the capability of attaching a torque wrench. Be sure to keep the wrench perpendicular to the torque wrench. As I recall the tool was not very expensive.

Stace

------------------
Pretty fly for a fat guy!

2001 YZ426 in the garage
2002 CR450F in October :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.