04 yz 450f suspension help

31 replies to this topic
  • Streamline

Posted October 14, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Water proof extreme pressure chassis grease.

One last question and I think I should be set, I use the the whole 06 front end yes? Just want to make sure I don't need swap out different parts such as the 04 steering stem or something. :thumbsup:

Hopefully my next post will be good news and a picture or 2.

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2011 - 06:41 PM

One last question and I think I should be set, I use the the whole 06 front end yes? Just want to make sure I don't need swap out different parts such as the 04 steering stem or something.

Well. let's see...

If you get the whole front end with clamps, they bolt right on.

The stems are the same, the bearings are the same, the wheels, spacers, and axles are the same. The whole deal is a 100% bolt on if you use them as a complete set.

• ericb269

Posted October 16, 2011 - 02:14 AM

hey if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the front end and where did you get it.

• ericb269

Posted October 16, 2011 - 02:25 AM

Does the rear shock off a 06 fit the 04 models??

• Streamline

Posted October 17, 2011 - 05:42 PM

hey if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the front end and where did you get it.

Ebay. Only like $230 shipped but that was b/c there was some cosmetic damage to the bottom of one of the forks and the guy didn't clean them before pictures so it wasn't all "shiny". But it included everything, forks, trees, bars, extra new grips, levers, cables, brake caliper, fork guards. Most of what I saw was closer to the $400 range though.

• Streamline

Posted October 17, 2011 - 05:51 PM

UPDATE:

Got the parts swapped over and went to the track for a test run. Moved the forks up to the first line as I remember reading it makes for a better handeling bike that way. Much different feel, front end turns a lot quicker/easier. Almost too quick from what i'm used to, probably just have to get used to it though. Went big by the end of the day on some long/high doubles and bike felt plush.

As I thought though both seem to be seeping oil even though the seller assured me they were "perfect". I may just take them in to be revalved while I'm at it.

Question...I was playing with the clickers as they were both different and how do I go about finding the middle so I know both are set evenly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2011 - 06:31 PM

Run the clickers all the way in until they stop, then back them out until they stop, counting as you go. That will tell you what the range is (should be about 22-23 on the compression, and 21 on the rebound.

Also note that the adjuster positions are reversed from your old fork; compression is on the top, and rebound on the bottom.

• Streamline

Posted October 17, 2011 - 06:50 PM

Run the clickers all the way in until they stop, then back them out until they stop, counting as you go. That will tell you what the range is (should be about 22-23 on the compression, and 21 on the rebound.

Also note that the adjuster positions are reversed from your old fork; compression is on the top, and rebound on the bottom.

Being as I know nothing of susp settings and you have an 06 can you give me a decent starting point that I could try for the clickers until I get it revalved? I race GPs and desert in the open C class, 6'2 210lbs.

• grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Standard original settings for the '06 were 11 clicks out from all the way in on compression and 7 out on the rebound. From there, follow this general guide:

http://motoman393.th...suspension.html

• Streamline

Posted October 19, 2011 - 06:17 PM

The fork is more than night and day different, and a huge improvement. The '04 shock is pretty good, though. The '06 has a beefier shaft, and several other little updates, but there's not so much that I'd look for one instead of having the '04 re-worked.

I took a look and I believe that the rear shock is also set up for a 50lb less than myself guy. Instead of spending $100+ and a new spring and then going to get it all revalved I was thinking about swaping to a newer shock as well. Seems like it would be more cost effective and slightly better than the 04 like you said. What years swap over, and is it a direct swap or?

Standard original settings for the '06 were 11 clicks out from all the way in on compression and 7 out on the rebound. From there, follow this general guide:

http://motoman393.th...suspension.html

Thanks again, I printed that out and will try messing with it at the track this weekend at my bachelor party to see how it works. I'll be taking the forks in for a revalve though in a few weeks.

• ericb269

Posted November 15, 2011 - 12:12 PM

I haven't found any shock that swaps with the rear and I have searched quite a bit.... anybody know???

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2011 - 12:56 PM

'01 to '09 will bolt up, but the '08 is slightly longer, and the '09 is valved for a different linkage ratio.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.