Spooge! , on my 426

6 replies to this topic
  • ricky1

Posted July 04, 2001 - 08:42 AM

Well it looks a lot like spooge, but brown. It is on the back of my carb slide, and under the carb cover.

While doing needle changes I noticed dust under the cover. I have also ALWAYS seen dust (very light) inside the air boot.

I have it all apart now so I can seal the boot to air box with some RTV. There is slight evidence of some dust getting by the air boot, but it does not seem like enough to cause the spooge.

Is there another place where dust could be entering the carb?

Thanks for any advice.

------------------
Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01
'81 490 Maico

• WR_Jason

Posted July 05, 2001 - 10:49 AM

Whooooaaww
I got my bike used and saw the same "stuff" on the carb. I thought the guy just left it dirty or someting was rusty. Maybe not! I thought it was odd that it was under the cover too! I started tearing down the carb and the only funny thing I found was the accelarator pump was packed with a tan clay looking grit. I cleaned it our and assumed thats where the spooge came from. It has not returned since.

• mcarp

Posted July 06, 2001 - 06:15 AM

Probably need to either grease the air filter flange and clean the contact area on the airbox, OR you're airfilter is passing dirt. Are you using air filter oil or just regular oil? regular oil will run off and allow diro pass if it's been siting for more than a few weeks (by sitting I mean just having regular oil present for 3 weeks). I use about 3 oz of Belray foam filter oil with great success.

RTV isn't what you want to use. It will dissolve in gasoline and gum the carb. Use Hondabond 4 to seal the carb. Don't be tempted to overtorque the boot bolts!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ricky1

Posted July 06, 2001 - 06:51 AM

MCARP

I use no-toil. I have inspected the inside of the filter and the seal very carefully, every time I take it off, and there is always evidence of dirt. I think unfiltered air is getting between the hard plastic flange, and the rubber air boot. I already sealed this with rtv. After a riding 1 1/2 hrs the back of the slide had no new dirt on it. Saturday will be a good test, I'll be riding in very dusty conditions with several others.

------------------
Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01
'81 490 Maico

• WR_Jason

Posted July 06, 2001 - 10:10 AM

Hmmm, My air filter syas not to oil it,, its says no-toil right one it......Ha just kidding, it is a no toil and its red, every time it get wet it turns every thing red! I wonderd if that was the problem, I soked it in water after it turned black from coal dust, and that seemed to clear it out. I just use WD-40 on it in light shots, the air boot looks nice and clean, like I said, once I cleaned the carb out I have not seen the spooge again.

• WR_Jason

Posted July 12, 2001 - 04:55 AM

Hey, I just clipped this off a post about stalling bikes!!!! This looks like the root of the spooge!!!!!!!

Pump gas tends to leave a brown syruppy residue that restricts the pilot jet and causing a lean mixture. If the restriction is great enough, the engine becomes quite finnicky. The symptoms are, generally hard starting...won't idle....exhaust popping when the throttle is closed from high revs(if you can get it to run)...only runs at higher revs. Sound familiar?

The guy who had it was probably running cheap gas, I have been using 94 with octaine booster and have not seen the return of the spooge!

[This message has been edited by WR_Jason (edited 07-12-2001).]

• Norman

Posted July 13, 2001 - 01:25 PM

I have seen it in my carb, just figured it was oil residue from the air filter that had been sucked through the carb. I use PJ1 spray on filter oil. Never have had any problems though.

Norman K

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.