Dies with Quick Throttle-Up!

3 replies to this topic
  • nemesisnxt

Posted October 01, 2011 - 04:31 PM

Gentlemen,

My bike will hesitate or even die with a quick throttle-up from idle. It starting doing this about 4 hours into a 6 hour ride. It doesn't seem to matter what altitude I'm at, as it did it at 11,000ft on the mountain and at the house at 4500ft. I removed the carb and cleaned it up, didn't really find a smoking gun. The accelerator pump appears to be working, although it may be weak? I tried two different spark plugs... I know that's probably not it, but ya know I was there and had one so what the heck.

2006 YZ450F
Power-Now
Red Beard Mod
Aftermarket Accelerator Pump (red it color)

Do you think the accelerator pump has gotten weak? The Red Beard Mod is hard on pumps, right? If I ease the throttle it will accelerate and has great power. Its just a snap acceleration from idle that will kill it.

-Joshua

• IAFF74

Posted October 01, 2011 - 06:12 PM

No idea. Mine started doing the same thing today. Feels like a carb issue though. If u figure it out let me know

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nemesisnxt

Posted October 01, 2011 - 06:55 PM

I pulled the bottom half of the carb bowl off, and removed the accelerator pump. It says "Factory Red" on the side, is that stock? The diaphragm and o-rings appear to be in good shape. All the passages are clear and I shot them with carb cleaner. The little check valve that allows fuel in seems to be working and the tiny "leak" jet is clear. However, it seems that there is no check valve operation occurring on the output of the pump. Is that check valve located further up the carb, or is it in the bowl that I removed?

• nemesisnxt

Posted October 01, 2011 - 07:44 PM

Is just dawned on me that my accelerator pump has no spring! Is there an aftermarket AP that has no spring? Either way, the spring is not the problem as it ran fine before.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.