How much oil does my 426 take

7 replies to this topic
  • Thepowderblue

Posted October 01, 2011 - 12:18 PM

I have a new to me yz426f and I am doing my 1st oil change on it.
I drained the oil from both the frame and motor. Idk how much came out. I was told by the people at ride now all my bike takes is 1qt so I bought 2qts. I have both of them in and it still does not even show on the dipstick.
How much do I need?
And is it bad to mix oils. One qt it Honda 10-40 and the other is some thumper something 10-40?

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2011 - 12:23 PM

Read:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=881284

It takes 1.6 Liters with an oil filter change. Where did you pour the oil in?

Mixing oils is not a fabulously good idea, but most will blend together with no problem.

• Thepowderblue

Posted October 01, 2011 - 12:27 PM

I drained most into one of those oil pans where you cant see the oil and it had some oil in it before. Plus I spilled most of it so i hosed it down the driveway so I have no idea how much came out.

• Thepowderblue

Posted October 01, 2011 - 12:31 PM

when I was checking and adding oil I didnt let it run 1st. Should I ride it then check it?

Edited by Thepowderblue, October 01, 2011 - 12:52 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thepowderblue

Posted October 01, 2011 - 12:53 PM

Ok I just needed to run it 1st. I had to drain oil out.

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2011 - 02:22 PM

Please answer the question: Where did you pour the new oil into the motorcycle?

• Thepowderblue

Posted October 02, 2011 - 08:49 AM

The dip stick hole in the down tube

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2011 - 06:46 PM

In that case it should have shown on the dip stick immediately whether you ran it or not. But if you poured oil in it and let it sit a day or more, the oil likely leaked down into the crankcase. You should always run the engine for a minute before checking.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.