How often should I change oil on my KTM 350?

13 replies to this topic

Posted September 30, 2011 - 01:00 PM

I am trying to decide this... I skimmed over the manual but didn't see too much info on how much hard racing/riding I should do between oil changed. I will do filters every other oil change. I just put my 1st hour of idling/riding around time on it and plan on riding Saturday and doing oil Sunday. I put about 1 hour a week on it.

• Rokk78

Posted September 30, 2011 - 01:05 PM

first oil change at 1hr. Clean the screen as well as the filter if you can. I just changed the filter at this point.. Then I did it again at 5hrs. Now I will do every 10hrs. But thats my choice. I believe manual states every 10hrs.

Posted September 30, 2011 - 01:10 PM

So every 3 hours like the dealer said was about a tad excessive? I was thinking either every 3-5 racing hours or every 5-7 hours of general riding

• UglyGrunt

Posted September 30, 2011 - 03:11 PM

I change the oil in my 450 every hour of race time, every 2 or 3hrs max if im just fuggin around at home, the SX 4strokes run hot especially on the track where you would use way more clutch or feathering the clutch. I have noticed if you leave it more then 3 hrs your clutch will wear out twice as fast! I use Rotella T 15/40 and noticed a huge differance in my clutch, I get over 45 to 50hrs out of it as apposed to 25 to 30hrs before clutch sliping occures. All SX thumpers require more maintenance as apposed to an EXC or enduro class bike! the SX is a motocross or track bike, if you cant open it up and get a ton of air through the rad all the time then you bought the wrong bike! you will just wreckit if you trail ride or run it at low speeds all the time, will burn up on you!

• GlennE

Posted September 30, 2011 - 05:25 PM

The book for my 09 450 XC-F says change the oil every 3 hours or every 5ish gallons of fuel.

I kinda of go in between and change the oil every 2-3 rides depending how tough/fast they are which is 5-8 hours for me. And I change the oil filter every other oil change.

However, I pretty much only ride mountain single track and don't burn a whole lot of fuel. Last ride was 63 miles in 3 hours and only about 1.5 gallons of fuel.

If I was racing I would definitely go for every 3 hours.

Also, electric fan is definitely required for technical single track on my bike.

• mikerides33

Posted September 30, 2011 - 05:26 PM

Every 3 rides:ride:

• norcal_hoss

Posted September 30, 2011 - 06:31 PM

If I was running rotella I'd change it every ride (which I did for many years)
I run the motorex cross power 10-60 that was developed with this bike. You can run it 7-10 hours no problem but me personally I go 3 hours change it with oil filter. I get the stuff in 6 gallon jugs which makes me change it often lol You can get oil filters from rocky mountain for like $3-4 bucks each. Biggest thing to keep clean is your air filter which I change every time I ride the bike. It revs so much higher and it's sucking more air so cheap insurance is to put a clean one in every ride.
Just my .2 cents

• mikes300

Posted September 30, 2011 - 07:29 PM

run a good quality oil, not that tractor stuff, and go about 15 hours, not sure what some others have found, this 350 is the 7th KTM Ive owned since 96, I feel I know them very well, as well as almost anyone at this point, I ride (A class enduro's and harescrambles) about 500-600 plus hrs a year, and Have NEVER changed a clutch plate not one, my 04 525 has well over 400 hours on it, and all the internals are still stock, and it runs like a top. on my 350, im going 10-15 hrs and a filter every time, untill I get some more feed back, then I may go a filter every other change on my 525 I'm going 20 hrs or so and both filters every 3rd change, I'm running 15-40 Dumonde Tech YAP400 in both of them. of course air filters every ride, sometimes I'll even swap in a fresh one at the gas stop depending on the dust.

many of the Sx and Xc bikes run the exact same motors, and virtually all KTM's run the same size radiators, so cooling between the various models is not signifantly different, I'v owned exc's, mxc's, XC's, Sx's, and xc-w's 2 and 4 strokes,

• dunkly

Posted October 01, 2011 - 06:22 PM

I change the oil in my 450 every hour of race time, every 2 or 3hrs max if im just fuggin around at home, the SX 4strokes run hot especially on the track where you would use way more clutch or feathering the clutch. I have noticed if you leave it more then 3 hrs your clutch will wear out twice as fast! I use Rotella T 15/40 and noticed a huge differance in my clutch, I get over 45 to 50hrs out of it as apposed to 25 to 30hrs before clutch sliping occures. All SX thumpers require more maintenance as apposed to an EXC or enduro class bike! the SX is a motocross or track bike, if you cant open it up and get a ton of air through the rad all the time then you bought the wrong bike! you will just wreckit if you trail ride or run it at low speeds all the time, will burn up on you!

Does anyone agree with this or is our friend getting a bit excited?

• mikes300

Posted October 01, 2011 - 06:53 PM

He does have 8 posts? I'd use your own judgement personally

• mikerides33

Posted October 02, 2011 - 04:17 AM

I agree with the Rotella. Good stuff....and yes you have to get air to run across your radiator fins:ride:

• thecrusher

Posted October 02, 2011 - 01:59 PM

The book says to change it every 10 hours after the first hour so thats what i am going with. I am using a good quality oil using the Lucas synthetic and using a little of the lucas oil stabilizer in it as well.

• schrode

Posted October 02, 2011 - 02:14 PM

i lol'd a little. yeah.

• UglyGrunt

Posted October 04, 2011 - 04:30 PM

sure, only 8 posts but I have been racing all my life and I'm 42 yrs old now. I'm also a technician for orange moto sports. I have owned several KTM's, several YZ's and zero honda's. just my opinion so whatever right? most people I know that race change out their oil every 1 to 2 hrs of track time. the engine in my 450 is worth over 5k so I have no problem with my maintenance schedule!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2011 450 sxf rear end seems low by shift1313

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

If you had to vote a 250f most reliable by Ride_blue82

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

250f maintenance and repair costs by champ1e

• Hot  38 replies
Reviews

KTM 450 SX-F Factory Edition 2013 by Kevin Reynolds

KTM 450 SX-F Factory Edition 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 2 reviews
  • Last review by Byron909
  • On May 20, 2014
Forums
Photo

2013 450SXF-FE? by YZrider1235

• 12 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.