lines on forks

9 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted July 03, 2001 - 03:22 PM

I was giving my forks some tlc today and I noticed that there lines, similar to scratches but you cannot feel them, along the forks in a verticle direction. They are difficult to see, but if you get down to the forks with a florescent light in your hand then you can see them. I assume this is normal?

• Mook

Posted July 03, 2001 - 04:34 PM

I have had problems with leaky fork seals. your post makes me want to check for this to see if that could be contributing to my recurring problem.

let you know...
mike

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 03, 2001 - 05:42 PM

I hope that it is not going to contribute to any leaks. My bike is brand new with only 3 or 4 hours of track time on it so I assume that this is normal. I was mostly curious to see if anyone else noticed something similar.

• Tim

Posted July 03, 2001 - 06:18 PM

I have similar lines on my '00 426. I noticed them late last year (I got my bike new in May '00). They are bugging me too. It appears to be the chrome rubbing off of the forks. If it gets too bad and I am replacing seals like crazy I will attempt to have them rechromed. Let us know if anyone else has had any negitive effects of these lines.....

thanks
Tim

• MikeOK

Posted July 03, 2001 - 06:24 PM

this is normal sir. Just load it in your truck go to the track and get it out, give it the gas and hang on hehehe...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • forloop

Posted July 04, 2001 - 04:02 AM

If you can not feel the scatches, then you are ok.

• fastkevin

Posted July 04, 2001 - 05:10 AM

Actually, you could lose fluid even if you think they're minor. Just went through it on a "brand new" set of WP forks. Neither one "grabbed" a finger nail, but they both leaked. Had to have PPS polish them out. Debris is usually the culprit. If you haven't already, you should probably change your fork oil, and have your local suspension guy look at them.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 04, 2001 - 04:05 PM

Actually the bike is brand new (had it on the track for the 3rd time today) so I do probably need to change the oil (post-break in change) but I doubt that it's full of dirt yet.. at least I hope not. Thanks for all of the replies!

• yzernie

Posted July 04, 2001 - 08:55 PM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
Actually the bike is brand new (had it on the track for the 3rd time today)

So........how do you like the bike???

Ernie

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 05, 2001 - 03:02 AM

Love it!! Definitely made the right choice. I'm new to MX but have ridden off road quite a bit on a 2-smoke, but never again. I do think that I will need to clean up my garage a bit to get enough room to work on this thing, but I think that would be true for any bike. I can't wait to get back to the track and ride some more!! :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.