Lubing new bike

10 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted September 27, 2011 - 06:51 PM

I was just curious about when you guys get a new bike if you clean the swing-arm,A-arm linkage bearings of the factory lube and then apply your own grease or just put your own grease in with the factory lube?

I'm going to do my new 2011 starting in the morning and I usually just press all the bearings out and wash out the factory lube and put my own grease back in. However this takes a while longer and is more time consuming.

I know you are not suppose to mix different kinds of grease but no more than what the factory puts on them I was wondering if it would be ok to put my own grease in with the factory lube?

I use the Moly dis-sulfide that they call for in the manual that is dark brownish black looking that I can get at wal-mart. It seems to work good for me. Better than the Bel-Ray saltwater kind that i have. Seems like when I use this in the steering bearings they want to hold in moisture and the the properties in the Bel-Ray grease dont seem to fight it off and causes some rust or black spots on the race and steering head bearings.

• jratcliffe3

Posted September 27, 2011 - 10:55 PM

I use the Moly dis-sulfide that they call for in the manual that is dark brownish black looking that I can get at wal-mart.

I have used that for years too on linkage and swingarm bearings, and not had problems.

I always prefer to take the needles out, clean them, and then bed them in new grease.

• dgcars

Posted September 27, 2011 - 11:32 PM

There is usually so little in there, I just pack everything with waterproof marine grease.

• Steel Panther

Posted September 27, 2011 - 11:54 PM

I use the valvoline synthetic moly grease on the linkage/swingarm, and just normal red grease on the steering bearings. It is time consuming but every year I take out each needle, clean everything and pack them back in with grease.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 28, 2011 - 05:20 AM

I use the valvoline synthetic moly grease on the linkage/swingarm, and just normal red grease on the steering bearings. It is time consuming but every year I take out each needle, clean everything and pack them back in with grease.

But what about on a new bike that you haven't ridden yet? Would you take all needles out and grease or just leave them in and throw some back in there?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted September 28, 2011 - 06:55 AM

I think 99% of my riding pals do NOT grease or lube anything on a new ride. Too excited to ride. One rider does and his bikes always get comments such as "this thing feels better than my new bike."

• dgcars

Posted September 28, 2011 - 07:05 AM

Post 3 is for a "new" bike

• Wiz636

Posted September 28, 2011 - 02:46 PM

I usually just press all the bearings out and wash out the factory lube and put my own grease back in. However this takes a while longer and is more time consuming.

You are not actually going to press your brand new bearings out are you? Do you mean just picking out the needles to clean them out and regrease?

Personally, whenever I have gone through the effort of disassembling everything to access the bearings it has made sense to me to go ahead and clean out all the existing grease and repack with 100% fresh grease.

• crf450319

Posted September 28, 2011 - 04:46 PM

On my new bikes I just add grease, I don't worry about getting the factory grease "cleaned" out. I re-pack my linkage/dog bone bearings with grease every 20 hours, the linkage and steering head bearings get done once a season. The only time I pull needle bearings out is if the bearings are starting to rust (at 20 hr intervals that doesn't happen).

I wouldn't worry about what grease is compatible with the stuff they use at the factory, just pack some more in there and call 'er good ! So far I haven't had any issues doing just that.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 28, 2011 - 07:09 PM

I took the steering head bearings out today and they didn't have much grease at all on them. Looked like you just took a finger full and dab'd it on.

I didn't however press the lower bearing off,I just packed it while on the stem. I left what grease that was on the bearings from the factory on there and just added my own onto them.

Tomorrow I'm going to do the swing-Arm bearings, A-arm,Shock bearings.

I have done the front wheel bearing also. I didn't take it out I just removed the dust seal and packed grease in it and pushed grease down into the wheel bearing.

• jcm3

Posted September 28, 2011 - 07:32 PM

But what about on a new bike that you haven't ridden yet? Would you take all needles out and grease or just leave them in and throw some back in there?

On my '11, after my first ride (I couldn't wait, like I did take YamaLink said) I did take all the needles apart in the suspension, give them a quick wipe down, and repacked with Bel Ray grease. I also did all of the wheel bearings (just pushed more in), but haven't done the steering stem yet. I need to do that!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.