XR650R road gearing?

4 replies to this topic
  • cat0020

Posted September 17, 2003 - 09:29 AM

Any XR650R owners that have converted their XR to a road machine or supermotard machine can recommend front and rear sprocket size that is ideal for riding in the street and highways?
Stock gearing of 14/48 can get decent top speed, but I want to minimize the engine stress if I keep the bike rolling at 75+mph on highways. I was thinking of going to 15/42 or even 40.. I wonder if that would lug the engine at low speed?
:) :D :D

• jeff_sj

Posted September 17, 2003 - 12:08 PM

I bought a 44 rear, which I've run with a 15 up front. With that gearing, you can cruise 75 all day easy, and you'll be able to go 'bout 120 if you need to race any harleys on the freeway. Don't get aluminum like I did, it's too soft. If you go beyond 44/15 (say 40/15), your 1st gear will be ridiculously too tall, and you'll wear your clutch out launching off the line, although the bike has enough torque to pull it. It's fun to blow past cars on a dirt bike cruising at 90... people will think you're insane! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jeff_sj

Posted September 17, 2003 - 12:11 PM

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that if you don't take my recomnedation, and do drop below 44, you'll need a shorter chain. You better get a new seat too and/or bike shorts 'cause your butt's gonna be sore as hell sitting on that thing all day.

• magilla

Posted September 17, 2003 - 01:18 PM

My 00' XR650RR Motard has a 15/39 currently. I don't have any problems down low, getting off the line, etc. Power only wheelies in 1st and second are no problem, 3rd with a little tug. No speedo so I can't tell you the actual speeds, but it's plenty fast for the freeway. Oh yea, I do have an HRC motor (cam, piston, valves, porting, etc...).
I will be looking into an Ironman 15/43 combo soon as I am more concerned with responce at lower speeds and wheelies in 4th and 5th gear. Hope this helps.

• cat0020

Posted September 18, 2003 - 05:23 AM

how many links will I need to take out if I'm going to a 15/42 gearing?

Magilla; how many links are you running with 15/39 gearing on your supermotard bike?
:D :D :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.