Chain glide suggestions??

6 replies to this topic
  • Tim

Posted July 02, 2001 - 06:00 PM

Hey boys,
My 426 chain glide on my swing arm is wearing through. Do you guys stick with an OE part or have some suggestions for a different brand that lasts longer? I am talking about the glide that wraps around the front of the swing arm not the chain block on the bottom of the rear of the arm. Yahmaha wants about $30 for the stock one......Chapparal wants about the same for an aftermarket one....

Thanks
Tim

• Boit

Posted July 02, 2001 - 07:24 PM

Good question. There is a solution. TM Designworks makes a very tuff replacement slider for the 400/426. The downside, if you can call i that, is that there is an increase in noise due to the chain slapping against this tougher material. You also have to remove the swingarm for installation, which is a good thing in my opinion since this is a good time to PM your suspension pivot points and wheel bearings. I opted for the complete set but found that the lower roller held the chain up too close to the bottom of the swingarm and cause the chain to slap against that area...plus the bottom roller was very noisy under acceleration at slow speeds. Once I put the stock lower roller back on, the noise decreased substantially and the stock roller is just fine anyway. At any rate, the TM slider is much tougher than stock and should last about 3 times as long..minimum. It's better than buying a new swingarm.

• sirhk

Posted July 03, 2001 - 05:21 AM

I just put that TM Designworks on my ride. It was $80 for just the slider that you need. I read in the instructions that its warrentied for 3 years though so the price may be worth it. I had bought a $13 UFO slider and it lasted 4 rides. Instalation is easy and like mentioned it gives you an excuse to grease all the linkage. It's definately louder, almost sounds like something is loose or broke but I can deal with that.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tim

Posted July 03, 2001 - 08:38 AM

Thanks, that sounds great!! How do I get my hands on one of these things?? Phone number? Web site?

Thanks again
Tim

• sirhk

Posted July 03, 2001 - 08:58 AM

TM Designworks 541-535-1612

I got in touch with the small local shop that I prefer to support and gave them the number and they became a distributer. I got mine through them. They have 2 in stock. I was told by numerous people that they are kinda hard to get cause TM is always backordered. If you want to get in touch with the shop I go to their number is 1-866-222-RACE(7223) They are in San Diego and it's a realtively small shop that recently opened. The guys there are cool and have always been good with me. Ask to speak with Neil and tell him that Khris with the yellow YZ400 told you about them if you decide to get in touch with them. Let me know if you get one and if you deal with this shop how they treated you.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• ART

Posted July 03, 2001 - 01:42 PM

I recently replaced mine and also found the slider itself was wearing through swingarm. The slight movement of the slider with dirt and grit between it and swingarm caused this. It is especially deep on the topside on either side of the weld. I have since put some # plate background on the swingarm as protection. Take note and check your swingarm!

• Tim

Posted July 03, 2001 - 06:20 PM

Thanks again! I will call on Thursday.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.