another red hot header

3 replies to this topic
  • The Hopper Show

Posted September 26, 2011 - 06:54 PM

but a little different this time. now i understand that a red hot header is the result of a lean condition. and i also know that it can happen when these bikes sit and idle.

now, that said, the last couple times i have ridden my trusty steed, the header has started glowing red while moving. first gear, 10-15 miles an hour, 1/4ish throttle it starts REALLY glowing. now if I increase speed and shift up a gear and get some rpm's up, it cools down significantly.

so the question...why is this doing this all of a sudden? still has stock jetting. and has had a bit of an idle problem this year but all is good once the bike is nice and warmed up as far as the idle. just the last couple rides it has been doing this. :thumbsup:

:smashpc:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 26, 2011 - 07:12 PM

but a little different this time. now i understand that a red hot header is the result of a lean condition. and i also know that it can happen when these bikes sit and idle.

now, that said, the last couple times i have ridden my trusty steed, the header has started glowing red while moving. first gear, 10-15 miles an hour, 1/4ish throttle it starts REALLY glowing. now if I increase speed and shift up a gear and get some rpm's up, it cools down significantly.

so the question...why is this doing this all of a sudden? still has stock jetting. and has had a bit of an idle problem this year but all is good once the bike is nice and warmed up as far as the idle. just the last couple rides it has been doing this. :thumbsup:

:smashpc:

You say you understand why it's happening, yet you still do not REJET!
:busted:

Sooo, what's the confusion here again?
What it used to do is irrelevant if the jetting is already wrong......and probably partially clogged..........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted September 28, 2011 - 04:22 AM

Within all your questions, all your answers lay.

And FYI, 10-15, 1/4 throttle is really not much different than idling. Carb wise, that is.

Mike

• wrwest

Posted September 28, 2011 - 10:45 AM

After I removed the AIS and fitted a 50 pilot jet all glowing issues resolved 4500 ft msl
158 main , NFLR yz 450 f needle 3 clip top . Baffle removed . Snorkel and lid intact .
No bog pulls cleanly from idle to top.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.