Yamaha 426 question

12 replies to this topic
  • Shortbed70

Posted September 25, 2011 - 05:41 PM

I am thinking of buying a 426 and have done some research and have a few questions.
How hard is it to swap on a newer carb and what year should I look for
What do these respond to the best as far as performance
And how do they do in the sand with a paddle tire...

I've done alot of searching but ne real complete answers... Please help before I drop $1000-$1200 on this thing.

• Shapi

Posted September 25, 2011 - 05:47 PM

I had a '01 for 8 years, never had an issue with the carb. I added the scary fast power now and really saw a pick up, not tht the bike needs it. The thing is a beast. That said, while I never had a paddle on it, I think it would do great in the sand. Quick hitting and long power.

• DeeCee

Posted September 25, 2011 - 07:12 PM

Why do you want to change the carb?

The 426 runs fine with the standard carb once jetted properly (which is not hard to do).

Paddle gyres are hard on the transmission, I suggest you try it with the knobby tyre first before fitting a paddle. You may be surprised.

• Shortbed70

Posted September 25, 2011 - 08:07 PM

I just read about this power now thing a day ago or so... The carb needs work, might just need cleaned from setting but don't know haven't seen the thing yet. As far as the paddle, I'm not sure how well it would do in the soft sand of Oklahoma but I would hate to go down and wish I had one... I will have to see if I get it or nit depends on it's condition I guess and how it runs. It used to be serviced by the local yamaha shop because he was sponsored by them for hare scramble races..

• Shapi

Posted September 26, 2011 - 04:38 AM

I just read about this power now thing a day ago or so... The carb needs work, might just need cleaned from setting but don't know haven't seen the thing yet. As far as the paddle, I'm not sure how well it would do in the soft sand of Oklahoma but I would hate to go down and wish I had one... I will have to see if I get it or nit depends on it's condition I guess and how it runs. It used to be serviced by the local yamaha shop because he was sponsored by them for hare scramble races..

Not sure what your $$$ situation is, but, you may want to consider picking up a rim on eBay or craig's list and throwing a paddle on it. That way you can have both with you. You'd be surprised at how many 426 and other pieces you can find on eBay. For what it is worth, I rode across Baja on a nobbie and it was great. Went through some long stretches of silt and fine river bed sand and the tire was great. Unless you are in all dune terrain, a paddle shouldn't be needed. Particularly with a 426. Just my opinion.

• Shortbed70

Posted September 26, 2011 - 06:31 AM

I'm gonna look for a wheel but if I can get I I will probably have to go knobby only... My brother is going to Oklahoma in October so we will see plus I have to buy all my gear again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2011 - 08:25 AM

The Power Now is a waste of money on the 426. They do help low speed performance on 250F's a little, but not the big bike, not at all $100 worth.

The carb from any YZ450 from '05 up is a virtual bolt on mod. The only thing that complicates it is the fact that the late carb has a cable operated hot start with a bar mounted lever. If you don't get that whole setup with the carb, the little pieces can add up.

The 426 does run well with the original carb if it's in good shape and tuned right, but the newer carbs are much less fussy, and the old ones can be a major PITA if they decide to.

Paddle tires are not any harder on the trans than you make them. The 426 works well in sand with knobbies, although some tires work much better than others do. If you set up a paddle, use an 8 cup tire.

• Shortbed70

Posted September 26, 2011 - 09:28 AM

I was wondering on the paddle cup count. I was looking at an 8. I guess it all depends on if I decideto go I I get the bike soon or not. I know I have alot of questions but I haven't been on a bike in over ten years but a quad just hasn't done it for me.... Plus I wrecked my quad more than I ever wrecked my bike when I raced...thanks for all the info guys. I'm hoping to go look at it this weekend...What should I look for or listen for since these bikes are kinda noisy anyway?

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2011 - 09:50 AM

The usual. The general overall condition, how well the details have been taken care of, signs that he's maintained it well.

• gscx

Posted September 26, 2011 - 10:01 AM

Arent the 2nd gen carbs on up basically the same? Or are there internal differences as well? Not including the hot start.

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2011 - 11:15 AM

I'm not sure how you are using the term, "2nd gen carbs". If you mean the carbs on the second generation 450's ('06-'09), then yes. If you are referring to the carbs on the 450's as a second generation of the same carb, then, no, not really.

The 426 used a Kiehin FCR. All of the 450's used an FCR-MX, which I suppose could be described as "basically the same", but there are a considerable number of internal refinements, and they are a much better instrument than the FCR was. The reason I specified '05 and later is because that year added the accelerator pump leak jet, which the '03-'04 did not have, and is a worthwhile improvement.

• YZ426_F

Posted September 26, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Like others have said, The 426 does great in sand without a paddle tire. The only place close for me is Slade's park and that place is 50% soft sand and I run a MX-51 dunlop with no problems.

Focus on how well the engine sounds/feels. Everything else isn't as important but of course can add up.

My 2000 426 runs great with the stock carb. but I keep star-tron fuel stabilizer in it at all times. no need to upgrade the carb. just buy a service manual and learn to keep your carb happy.

also you are looking at an AMAZING bike in my opinion.. but it is a 11 year old bike. I wouldn't pay anymore then $1,200-1,300 for a 426 unless it was flawless.

• Shortbed70

Posted September 27, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Cool. I'm pretty sure this is the bike I'm buying. But one more thing is there a silencer that is way shorter than the long stocker? I really don't like how it is as long as the rear fender?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.