Crossing into the BLUE from the EVIL red... lets order stuff

23 replies to this topic
  • xxxshiftxxx

Posted September 25, 2011 - 01:42 PM

SO, I have always been a Honda guy. I went through 3 CRF450's and I have had enough dealing with those damn intake valves!:smashpc: (yes, I was very good at keeping up with regular maint.) I was just pissed with all my friends riding blue, WR and the 99 400, never even touching there valves in years!!

I bought a very very very low hour 2008 WR450 that is bone stock, no free mods or anything!!

Help me spend some more money!

Here is the list I am starting out with: Please look over and suggest whats needed or what not in this list.

AIS removal Kit (not really sure on which one?)

Open up stock muffler

Grey Wire Disconnect

JD Jetting Kit (for the Needles, Mains, orings, anything else in this kit?)

Pilot Jet ( What sizes should I order?, I am in Las Vegas)

Flexible Fuel Screw (I hear anything else is a pain in the ass to adjust with this frame)

Do I need a different Leak Jet?

Protection: Rad Braces/Guards, Handguards, Shark Fin.

I know there is a ton of other stuff to get, but that is all I am starting out with! Thanks for any help or advice along the way and look forward to many hours using search and asking and eventually answering questions!

Edited by xxxshiftxxx, September 25, 2011 - 01:44 PM.
forgot some stuff

• xxxshiftxxx

Posted September 25, 2011 - 04:25 PM

Anyone??

What are the AIS kit options?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 25, 2011 - 04:52 PM

You will find this forum to be much slower moving than the CRFR or X forums.

I'd go with:

- full wrap handguards
- real skid plate
- radiator braces
- wider footpegs
- gray wire
- PMB end cap
- JD kit + 50 leak jet + Merge racing apump detent spring upgrade

... and that 's it, until.....

- suspension re-spring and re-valve front and rear
- YZ cams
- Full Dr D stainless exhaust
- Scotts damper

• xxxshiftxxx

Posted September 25, 2011 - 05:54 PM

I'd go with:

- full wrap handguards
- real skid plate
- radiator braces
- wider footpegs
- gray wire
- PMB end cap
- JD kit + 50 leak jet + Merge racing apump detent spring upgrade

... and that 's it, until.....

- suspension re-spring and re-valve front and rear
- YZ cams
- Full Dr D stainless exhaust
- Scotts damper

I am going to get the Cycra Pro bends. I just just confused on the bracket to get. I have searched, but I am still confused....

Rad Braces, I am thinking of going with th Devol guard/brace... have never failed me in the past.

I understand the JD kit, but is there a AIS kit without the needle, I dont think I need three needles..

• MANIAC998

Posted September 25, 2011 - 06:09 PM

Racing? Or just riding? Suspension work is considered a must for racing by almost everyone. Riding on the other hand, you can get by with just springs if you don't fall into the recommended ballpark for the stock spring rate. Maniac

• xxxshiftxxx

Posted September 25, 2011 - 06:33 PM

Racing? Or just riding? Suspension work is considered a must for racing by almost everyone. Riding on the other hand, you can get by with just springs if you don't fall into the recommended ballpark for the stock spring rate. Maniac

I dont fall anywhere close to it.... I am bout 215 without gear... I do not plan on racing, but do ride a pretty fast desert pace. I know I have to have the suspension done to enjoy the ride or be able to ride at a fast pace and not kill myself.:smashpc:

• MANIAC998

Posted September 26, 2011 - 03:44 AM

Suspension work and taller handlebars if your over 5'8". Dwight Rudder has some great recommendations under the Off-road riding techniques forum section. Maniac

• xxxshiftxxx

Posted September 26, 2011 - 05:17 AM

Suspension work and taller handlebars if your over 5'8". Dwight Rudder has some great recommendations under the Off-road riding techniques forum section. Maniac

Sounds good thanks!!

I am still confused on which Cycra mount to by... I know I DO NOT want the triple tree mount...

I am getting some Pro Taper Evo Bars.... Which U mount should I get? Or should I go with a center mount system?:smashpc:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 26, 2011 - 05:37 AM

Sounds good thanks!!

I am still confused on which Cycra mount to by... I know I DO NOT want the triple tree mount...

I am getting some Pro Taper Evo Bars.... Which U mount should I get? Or should I go with a center mount system?:smashpc:

I use the same set-up on every bike: The Cyra U-clamp with the Cycra Probend:

http://ep.yimg.com/c...15_2168_5696315
Posted Image

Ignore the RoX adaptors, they came right off...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the old 'Right Fit' version I used to use:
Posted Image

• xxxshiftxxx

Posted September 26, 2011 - 05:41 AM

Nice bikes!

So I need to oreder the U mount, which one exactly is it for the Pro taper Evo bars

The 08+ Pro Taper/KTM OEM or the 07 Pro taper/fits moth 1 1/8''?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 26, 2011 - 06:08 AM

Because we are all busy riding instead of fixing them :thumbsup: :busted:

Rad Braces, I am thinking of going with th Devol guard/brace... have never failed me in the past.

Get the Unabiker hands down the best and they work with over size tank.

As for suspension, DaveJ....PERIOD :smashpc:

• beezer

Posted September 26, 2011 - 12:29 PM

I second the Dave J. suspension.

Mine is awesome.

I put a YZ exhaust cam and a Dr. D pipe on mine and it runs really really nice.

• MaxPower

Posted September 28, 2011 - 12:11 AM

Get a exhaust cam from the yz and get a stock silencer from the yz also.There is so much reliable power you will be missing without those modifications

• kawi380

Posted September 28, 2011 - 04:46 AM

I'd go with:

- wider footpegs

Really? I thought the 08 had awesome wide foot pegs. I love mine. Other than I have one that is barely hanging on for dear life:banghead:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 28, 2011 - 06:09 AM

I thought the 08 had awesome wide foot pegs. I love mine.

Starting in 07, the WR started coming with nice wide pegs :smashpc:

• strtdsmallproject

Posted September 28, 2011 - 02:59 PM

I feel for you. Im also a red rider who switched. The WR is like raceing a truck compared to the crf that flicks, flings and cuts corners. I did the same switch from crf450r to wr450 so i could ride with my youth son. My first warning is dont over heat the starter motor. They are a 350 buck replacement. Get a yz rear fender so you dont wreck a tail light, also the I removed the front head light and put a number plate from a yz. The wr head light assy is about 120 to replace. I now switch out my head light back and forth when i need it.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 28, 2011 - 03:15 PM

I feel for you. Im also a red rider who switched. The WR is like raceing a truck compared to the crf that flicks, flings and cuts corners. I did the same switch from crf450r to wr450 so i could ride with my youth son. My first warning is dont over heat the starter motor. They are a 350 buck replacement. Get a yz rear fender so you dont wreck a tail light, also the I removed the front head light and put a number plate from a yz. The wr head light assy is about 120 to replace. I now switch out my head light back and forth when i need it.

....sounds like you fall down a lot! Oh, and a headlight bezel is $36.00 bucks. I just bought one.

• strtdsmallproject

Posted September 28, 2011 - 07:35 PM

....sounds like you fall down a lot! Oh, and a headlight bezel is $36.00 bucks. I just bought one.

yep!

I had to buy the light, fairing, and everything. It was a good below 32 deg tree smoker. I think i lost a front fender that race. It was one of those races you shoud quit after the first lap....you know how that goes:banghead:

I usually hope for 3 dirt burners a race. Less is good more is a day of pain. Ive seen a couple of races with no burn ins and a couple with 1-3 per lap. Usually we have 9-13 mile laps with 3-5 laps, it adds up quick!

• MaxPower

Posted September 28, 2011 - 11:33 PM

I ride a 04Wr
Rarely do I read that people dont like the way the WR handels.
I always thought it was a load. But its fast as can be and I have fun on it.
I put a Rekluse E axle on mine an it really helped more than i can tell you.

Does the Red 450 really feel alot different than the Yamaha

• tribalbc

Posted September 29, 2011 - 06:31 AM

YZ rear fender won't fit 07+ WR's. Just remove the tilight assembly from the stock fender has the same effect.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.