Personal Vehicles - Weigh Stations by State

10 replies to this topic
  • M.Stone

Posted September 25, 2011 - 11:03 AM

When pulling a trailer with my pick-up, or driving a personal medium duty truck, I have often found it confusing whether or not I need to stop at a weigh station. In most states there are no clear signs explaining who must stop. So I compiled this list using info from the AAA website.

In 22 continental states, personal vehicles must stop at weigh stations if they are over a given gross vehicle weight rating or gross combined weight rating. The GVWR is the total weight of the vehicle loaded to capacity. The GCWR is the total weight of the towing vehicle loaded to capacity plus the total weight of the trailer loaded to capacity. The GVWR of a vehicle is the same wether the vehicle is loaded or empty - it is the manufacturers's rating and it is almost always listed on a plaque or sticker on the vehicle or trailer. So even if the vehicle is empty, these requirements apply.

The following list may not be perfect, but it was the best I could determine using the info on AAA.

As best I can determine, it is rare that personal pick-ups or RVs pulling trailers are prosecuted for failing to stop at weigh stations, but I am posting the legal requirements even though they are rarely enforced.

In Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Indiana, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Nevada, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin, all vehicles with a GVWR or GCWR over 10,000 lbs must stop at weigh stations.

In Michigan, all vehicles with a GVWR or GCWR of over 10,000 lbs with dual rear wheels must stop at weigh stations.

In Nebraska, all vehicles with a GVWR or GCWR over 10,000 lbs must stop at weigh stations except pick-ups pulling a camper trailer.

In North Dakota, all vehicles with a GVWR or GCWR over 10,000 lbs must stop at weigh stations, except RVs.

In Montana, South Dakota, and Wisconsin, all vehicles with a GVWR or GCWR of over 8,000 lbs must stop at weigh stations.

In Virginia, all vehicles with a GVWR or GCWR of over 7,500 lbs must stop at weigh stations.

In New Mexico, all vehicles with a GVWR or GCWR of over 26,000 lbs must stop at weigh stations.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted September 26, 2011 - 05:33 PM

I think Washington is over 16,000 lbs must stop.

• 07thommi

Posted September 28, 2011 - 07:09 PM

I think Washington is over 16,000 lbs must stop.

Pretty sure that is for comercial vehicles only not personal...and yes its over 16k in WA and over 20K in OR...

-mt-

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted September 29, 2011 - 06:35 AM

Pretty sure that is for comercial vehicles only not personal...and yes its over 16k in WA and over 20K in OR...

-mt-

I'm certain you are right, look in "use class", does it read G/PASS, D/PASS or COM. I bought a flatbed dually 1 ton, it was COM, went to the DOL and changed it to G/PASS. Some drawbacks to COM, you can be pulled over for no reason, you must have a fire extinguisher and a lable telling others where its at and other things I didnt like...

• mxredneck

Posted September 29, 2011 - 08:07 AM

Along with being able to get a ticket for brakes and other items that while should probably be replaced anyways, would go un-ticketed for a personal/recreational vehicle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chickenhauler

Posted September 30, 2011 - 05:59 PM

I have never seen or heard of a personal vehicle (pickup truck) being taken down for cruising past a weigh station. MN doesn't even glance at me when I drive past the scales in my 1 ton dually. Now, toss a skidloader on a trailer behind it, and they might get interested.

Put RV plates on a camper or your travel trailer, and they'll likely make your life more miserable for stopping than not. I have seen a MN State Patrol chew a guy in an RV out for plugging up the weigh station.

CA makes it very clear and straight forward (for once)...

http://www.dot.ca.go...ns/stopping.htm

(:smashpc: Passenger vehicles which are not used for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit and housecars are not commercial vehicles. ...

And as such, they do not stop at scales.

However, in many states, toss livestock into the equation, and all bets are off.

• lumpy790

Posted October 04, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Florida is picky..sort of...but I have been told I did not need to stop then I pulled in .......then a couple months later was pulled over for not stopping. :smashpc: The officer told me if the vehicle is hauling something that is to be sold for profit you should stop. Both times then mt bov van still had Suzuki logos and was still registered with Suzuki. After I finally received the title and registered it I had it wrapped with Moto Hose logo and pictures. I used it to pull a travel trailer to Loretta Lynns and did not stop at any weigh stations.......I think the trailer made it look like Joe home owner so they didnt come after me.

• Chickenhauler

Posted October 05, 2011 - 09:48 AM

Florida is picky..sort of...but I have been told I did not need to stop then I pulled in .......then a couple months later was pulled over for not stopping. :smashpc: The officer told me if the vehicle is hauling something that is to be sold for profit you should stop. Both times then mt bov van still had Suzuki logos and was still registered with Suzuki. After I finally received the title and registered it I had it wrapped with Moto Hose logo and pictures. I used it to pull a travel trailer to Loretta Lynns and did not stop at any weigh stations.......I think the trailer made it look like Joe home owner so they didnt come after me.

Florida weigh stations are one thing, the Florida ag inspection stations (that are 100ft farther up the road) are another altogether.

• lumpy790

Posted October 05, 2011 - 01:45 PM

It may have been the ag station I pulled into. Coming back from Daytona I did not stop but coming back from Jacksonville I pulled in and the guy said....why are you in here?

LOL

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted October 07, 2011 - 06:41 AM

Can a guy pull through and just park in ther parking area after the scales to stretch his legs, or maybe one is overheating and needs to pull over. Is there a scale bypass to get to that parking area without holding up trucks waiting for the scales?

• Chickenhauler

Posted October 07, 2011 - 11:21 AM

Can a guy pull through and just park in ther parking area after the scales to stretch his legs, or maybe one is overheating and needs to pull over. Is there a scale bypass to get to that parking area without holding up trucks waiting for the scales?

Nope, none that I know of have that feature.

They're a one-way flow system, and after rolling across the scales, if directed, you loop right to go around back, and when leaving, you make another right hand turn and cross the scales again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.