WR400 starting question

7 replies to this topic
  • chrome-crf

Posted September 16, 2003 - 08:47 PM

Hey guys, I was thinking about a WR400. How hard are they to start? How many kicks on average does it take to fire it up and what is the starting routine? Do you have to find top dead center to start it? What about the decompression lever? Thanks

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted September 17, 2003 - 05:18 AM

I have a 98 WR400 and it starts on the 4th kick when cold but after it has been warned up it's a 1kick bike . Kick the bike to TDC then pull in the compresion relese push down about another inch let it back up all the way and give it a kick That's the routine that work's for me . (great bike) Have fun - ride hard :)

• MOmilkman

Posted September 17, 2003 - 05:59 AM

Not hard to start at all, and I have heard numerous others on here say with a 03 exhaust cam, its even easier!

...I gotta get one of those someday.. :)

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted September 17, 2003 - 06:16 AM

2 kicks when cold,1 when warm.
the whole starting routine is over rated, it isn't as hard as it sounds. I rarely use my hot start. Sometime when I am lazy i can give it a half kick and it will fire right up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ogrebelle

Posted September 17, 2003 - 11:21 AM

Jet it right and it'll fire up every time. For me, 1 kick hot or cold. It's a breeze.

• oldbones

Posted September 17, 2003 - 04:42 PM

If your WR takes more than one kick to start cold, try giving the throttle two twists before you kick, no throttle during kick. Mine starts first kick 90%, especially when cold.

• chrome-crf

Posted September 17, 2003 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been hearing a lot of people say that the Yamahas are hard to start, but I trust you guys since you actually know. :)

• oldbones

Posted September 17, 2003 - 06:14 PM

Hard to start was my buddies KTM 620 thumper w/left side kicker. I hadn't been on a dirtbike in 16+ years when I tried to ride this for the first time, made me feel like a retard! Now it's a breeze to start, just had to get used to it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.