06 yz450 wont shift down from 4th

9 replies to this topic
  • d36yzrider

Posted September 23, 2011 - 09:07 PM

the other day at the track going into a corner my bike would not shift down from 4th gear it will shift up to 5th but wont go down im not sure what it could be I have heard shift pawl so im checking that tomorrow if anyone has any idea what else it could be let me know thanks.

• gscx

Posted September 23, 2011 - 09:24 PM

Have to made sure that your shift lever isnt stripped?

• d36yzrider

Posted September 23, 2011 - 09:56 PM

yes the shaft is in good shape and It has a new shifter also. it shifts down but wont go all the way down from 4th to 3rd

• MANIAC998

Posted September 24, 2011 - 05:43 AM

It could be as simple as something stuck underneath the shifting pawl inside the right engine cover. Just pull off the complete right cover, (not just the small clutch cover) and take alook. Hope it's something simple! Maniac

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 24, 2011 - 06:35 AM

Shift fork or shift drum is damaged.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr-426

Posted September 26, 2011 - 08:19 AM

my advice,

avoid running the bike until you figure this out, it's hell when the gearboxes on these fail. i'd get the clutch cover off and have a look around, keep fiddling but you may have to go deeper

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 26, 2011 - 07:17 PM

my advice,

avoid running the bike until you figure this out, it's hell when the gearboxes on these fail. i'd get the clutch cover off and have a look around, keep fiddling but you may have to go deeper

There's nothing to see on that side.....................

• gscx

Posted September 26, 2011 - 08:06 PM

^Wut?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 26, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Taking off the Clutch cover will not expose the shift mechanism, so it is pointless. It's all on the other side.

• wr-426

Posted September 26, 2011 - 10:05 PM

sorry krannie,

i realize there is nothing on that side, just got confused when typing. what i meant to suggest is to get in behind the cover on the flywheel/generator side, and look at the mechanism on the other end of the gear selector shaft. you're absolutely right Krannie, I just used the wrong words.
good luck with it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.