Plastic tank for XR650L??

8 replies to this topic
  • wpoling

Posted September 16, 2003 - 06:15 PM

I'd like to hear from the owners of various plastic tanks for the XR650L. I'm looking at the Acerbis, IMS, and Clarke. Are there any others? Which looks best? Best finish?Any to stay away from? I'll probably go with the original red color.

Thanks,
Bill

• uw153

Posted September 17, 2003 - 05:44 AM

After posting from you jetting question yesterday I did a little searching. I found a whole bunch of threads on comparing the Clark, Ims, and Acerbis tanks. Most of them are on XR..R models but that still doesn't mean anything when it comes to quality. I filled mine up last night, no leaks. Although a word of caution, make sure you install a vent tube to the cap. I didn't and got gas spilling on my belly and lower. I had to ride with one finger pluging the vent and the other on the gas. Anyway, do a search in this forum and pick all. You'll get a lot of threads on tanks. I just searched for "tank".

• wpoling

Posted September 17, 2003 - 07:48 AM

Yea, I found a lot of info on th 650R tanks, and some said the one tank (don't remember which brand) looked chunky and odd on the bike. Was wondering if the 650L was the same.

Bill

• uw153

Posted September 17, 2003 - 08:48 AM

wpoling, if you would like, you can PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pic of mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yooper_porkchop

Posted September 19, 2003 - 07:28 AM

I have a 01 650L with the Clarke 4.7 gallon tank on, I am very pleased with it. Before I installed it on the bike I just had to run a drill bit up the hole for the petcock, small burr there. After that and a good flushing all is well. Like the extra range it offers. Make sure you have a vent tube for it as it doesn't come with one.

• wpoling

Posted September 19, 2003 - 07:43 PM

Porkchop,
Do you have graphics on your tank? If so, what kind did you go with?

Bill

• uw153

Posted September 20, 2003 - 06:47 AM

Hey porkchop, does the Clark also carry a bunch of fuel in the lower right side that doesn't get to the petcock? If so, have you figured out a way to get it to the left side. I don't what to have to lay my bike down every time just to get a few more miles out of it. Right now all I can think about is to rig up some kind of sophoning system for move fuel. Any ideas??

• yooper_porkchop

Posted September 21, 2003 - 08:12 AM

No I don't have any graphics on the tank, just kept it plain red, figured it would just get scratched any way during use.

• yooper_porkchop

Posted September 21, 2003 - 08:39 AM

Yes it does, but I haven't run it down far enough to see, most of my rides don't go much over 130 miles before I can get fuel. With the type of riding that I do I have gotten a worst 42 mpg and a best 55 mpg, (Im to old to be a hard charger, I just enjoy the ride in the bush)I haven't even run it into reserve since I have added the plastic tank, but with the metal tank I was going into reserve on ocasion. The way I looked at it I would rather lay the bike on its side to get that extra splash of gas because it is there rather than walk.
-----------------------------------------------------------I have a uni filter, dropped the front sprocket to a 14 tooth for the woods, (mostly 2 track and gravel roads some single track)and added dunlop 606 tires. Garmin GPS and Tour Tech mount. 01-XR650L/00 GL1500SE

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.