OEM Piston Ring Placement

4 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted September 23, 2011 - 04:34 PM

Putting a new piston and rings in my '08 but for the life of me I can't recall which of the two compression rings goes on top...the black one or the bronze looking one?

I can't tell them apart on the old set...

• bikerdude11

Posted September 23, 2011 - 05:14 PM

If it's the same as my 250F, each ring will only fit in its respective slot. Can't remember which ring is bigger, but the bigger one will not fit into the smaller ring groove in the piston.

To be blunt, the bigger ring will only fit in the one slot, and the smaller ring goes in the other.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2011 - 07:35 PM

That's correct. One of them is too thick to fit both grooves.

• Wiz636

Posted September 24, 2011 - 08:35 PM

Well...I feel especially unobservant now. Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2011 - 12:45 PM

It would be so much easier if Yamaha would just package the rings with a tiny bit of info, eh?

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.