Help with changing Fork Springs

5 replies to this topic
  • Thumperdog

Posted July 02, 2001 - 06:24 AM

I have a '01 YZ426 and want to go to a stiffer spring in both forks and rear shock. Do I have to tear my forks down or can I just remove the top of the fork tube and pull the old springs out and put the new ones. I hope its that simple..

• bjscheel

Posted July 02, 2001 - 07:11 AM

just take your handle bars aff and remove the caps and slid in the new ones. Make shure your install the caps the way the booktells you or will not have any rebound adjustment.

• WR_Jason

Posted July 02, 2001 - 12:16 PM

Make sure all the weight is off the front of the bike, once the caps are off, their is a jam nut that cracks the dampening rod loose, then you have the spring. Its a tight fit with a 17 wrench, Yamaha calls for a special thin spanner wrench but it got it with a craftsman pro long pattern wrench. What the deal with the caps BJ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bjscheel

Posted July 02, 2001 - 02:07 PM

I've had a few people come out and ride with a spongy rebound. It was because they didn't walk the jam nut down all the way,in result leting the cap stay up off the dampining rod having no adjustment. I've also seen jam nuts installed upside down witch do the same thing they don't let the caps down far enough to touch the rod. It was just some freindly advise.

• WR_Jason

Posted July 03, 2001 - 08:19 AM

Ohhh, good point. I know I had to brig the jam nuts up to the cap to tighten it, but I am not sure if I torqued the end cap to the nut or the nut to the end cap. Maybe Ill break it loose and do it again. When I got the bike I opened it up and found one rod not even on the cap and the oter loose!
Dose that mean the adjuster should be wound all the way in before it comes apart? I should re-read the book. :)

[This message has been edited by WR_Jason (edited 07-03-2001).]

• bjscheel

Posted July 03, 2001 - 08:41 AM

when i do mine i always back the ajjustment srews out a few turns before i tighten the caps down. If the srews are down to far they will stop the cap from going any further. The caps are made to bottom on the dampining rod and then adjust your rebound with the srew.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.