how many miles to a tank? and mph?

16 replies to this topic
  • tomk

Posted September 21, 2011 - 06:55 PM

I just picked up a stock/uncorked 03 wr450 just wondering what other riders get for miles to a tank of gas and top mph, my gps said 83.6mph!!!! I think it stock gearing but not sure, and I have 52 miles to my first tank including flipping to reserve, I have not run out yet but plan to ride it till it quits to see what it can get. it also seems reaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyy cold blooded is that common? oh it has been jetted...

ps it will become a snowbike this winter!!

• djv5

Posted September 22, 2011 - 03:29 AM

Your stock OEM gast tank is 2.6 gallons.

I always averaged 40mpg dualsporting on my 2003 WR450, so my fuel range was about 100 miles before switching to reserve.

If you are riding high rpms and single track, your fuel range will be much lower - but your range seems really low at only 52 miles.

I would recommend double checking your carb jets (get a James Dean kit or something similar) to solve your cold blooded problem and help with your fuel mileage.

I you have the 14/50 stock gearing, then your top speed sounds about correct.

• wondermuscle

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:20 AM

I get about 30-35mpg in single track. Desert racing I get 50miles to a 3.1 gallon tank.

I run 14/46 and top out at 95mph on asphalt and mid 80's in the dirt.

Pull your pilot jet out and see what size it is. Should be a 48 or 45 depending on your elevation. If there is any sign of varnish on the pilot replace it. Get a quick adjust fuel screw if you don't already have one.

• Sknight

Posted September 22, 2011 - 02:52 PM

Mine tops out at 84 according to my Vapor computer, I've gotten 35MPG and have filled it up at 75 miles usually, not tracked it dirting. I make a loop, top it up, make a loop, top it up.

How were you riding to get 52 miles? Street, it's really low. Dirting especially hard, not bad.

• tomk

Posted September 23, 2011 - 08:33 PM

so maybe I flipped the reserve earlier than i thought I needed too and I can keep going for a while, i have a turn track in my yard, and a 50ft table top so I have been just riding around my empty neighborhood (only 5 of 30 2.5-10 acre lots have homes) development and my yard, so not too hard of riding, I guess I just dont know my bike enough yet, I will just have to keep riding it... dang:thumbsup:

• bg10459

Posted September 25, 2011 - 06:16 AM

I have always gotten between 35 and 40 mpg on my '03 WR450.....

• YamaLink

Posted September 26, 2011 - 05:47 AM

As stated, rider weight, terrain, jetting, riding style all add up to fuel range. Mine varies drastically depending on time of year and how out of shape I am. Better conditioning I get better mileage because I can stand up more and ride a higher gear and use momentum a lot more.

• - Jake -

Posted September 28, 2011 - 03:38 PM

it seems reaaaaaaallllllllllyyyyyyy cold blooded is that common?

I would recommend double checking your carb jets (get a James Dean kit or something similar) to solve your cold blooded problem

What does Cold Blooded mean in relation to fuelling? It's not something folks ever say over here in England!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tomk

Posted September 28, 2011 - 07:43 PM

What does Cold Blooded mean in relation to fuelling? It's not something folks ever say over here in England!

cold blooded means it takes along time to get warmed up and run good, like it does not want to stay running at first when you initially start it

• MaxPower

Posted September 29, 2011 - 12:05 AM

What do you blokes say when a bike takes a long time to warm up and start running well with out the choke?

• tomk

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:43 PM

final results are in 68 miles to one full tank of fuel and 88.9 mph

• toscaredtofly

Posted October 04, 2011 - 08:27 PM

my 2011 wr450f runs about 120 miles b4 reserve and thats med to heavy trail riding im runnin a ais block off kit no baffle snorkle removal and a 175 main jet b4 i uncorked it it would run over 200 miles to a tank with a top speed of 73 now top speed of 96 best 50 you can spend

• SXP

Posted October 05, 2011 - 10:41 AM

07 WR450. IMS 3.1G Tank. JD Jetting Kit - 45/165/Red-5

Fartherest I've pushed it was in Mammoth (~8K ft elevation) last month - 125 miles and it took 2.6 gallons to fill up (had 0.5 gallons to spare!!). BUT, I was riding with serious "range anxiety" and was babying it as much as possible. Would have done a lot better if I had jetted for that altitude.

• Boulder Ed

Posted May 07, 2012 - 05:41 AM

O6 WR450 with Boyeson carb kit, DRD pipe , 3.1 gallon tank
I got 44mpg on mixed trail in Moab last week over 850 miles of total riding. I got 51 on one pavement section.

• Stealth13

Posted May 07, 2012 - 06:15 AM

I get 45-50mpg ripping around the city and about 60 on the highway at 60mph

• Pooley

Posted May 07, 2012 - 08:50 AM

2001 WR426 here, and I get between 30-35 on single-track depending on the trail and how hard I am pushing that day. I run stock (14/50) gearing with FMF Q pipe and all free mods. The fastest I've recorded has been 83 MPH. Not sure if it could squeeze out more if I had longer stretches of road and more guts, but I always seem to max out between 80-83 MPH, depending on the surface and day. Never tried it on asphalt with knobbies, just dirt.

3.1 gallon tank so I can comfortably ride 80+ miles before I start to get nervous.

Edited by Pooley, May 07, 2012 - 08:52 AM.

• dirtbikekid32

Posted May 07, 2012 - 04:41 PM

2011 WR 450F.. GYTR kit installed along with jets, all else stock. Raced a fast hare scramble course yesterday, ran out of gas at 34 miles, had to switch to reserve to get outta the woods.. Bike runs and starts great.. No complaints, looks like Im getting poor mileage compared to some of you.. This tank is 2.1 gallons i beleive..

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.