back to bare frame

6 replies to this topic
  • wr-426

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:43 PM

My 2001 WR426 gearbox packed it in recently and i am slowly putting it back together. i may look at selling the bike at some stage in the not too distant future. i am trying to pretty up a bit. The bike is stripped back to a bare frame at the moment.

has anyone ever removed the paint on the swingarm on these bikes? i really like the brushed aluminium look on the newer bikes and i m wondering if i will be able to achieve this with the swingarm on my bike.

what colour should i paint my frame? i wonder how it will look if i can't quite match the stock blue so maybe black is the way to go? anyone tried any interesting colours?

i might come up with a few more questions at some stage soon

cheers, guys

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:50 PM

My 2001 WR426 gearbox packed it in recently and i am slowly putting it back together. i may look at selling the bike at some stage in the not too distant future. i am trying to pretty up a bit. The bike is stripped back to a bare frame at the moment.

has anyone ever removed the paint on the swingarm on these bikes? i really like the brushed aluminium look on the newer bikes and i m wondering if i will be able to achieve this with the swingarm on my bike.

what colour should i paint my frame? i wonder how it will look if i can't quite match the stock blue so maybe black is the way to go? anyone tried any interesting colours?

i might come up with a few more questions at some stage soon

cheers, guys

Stick with factory colors if you expect any real resale on the bike.

• Markjb85

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:05 PM

have a look at my swingarm i recently sand blasted it then painted with caliper paint and polished the sides. It took me a few hours to do but came up really nice.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr-426

Posted September 20, 2011 - 05:21 PM

have a look at my swingarm i recently sand blasted it then painted with caliper paint and polished the sides. It took me a few hours to do but came up really nice.

Posted Image

that is an awesome result Mark, sadly i don't have access to sandblasting equipment as i live on a little remote island of the coast of Australia, i wonder how i'd go with a soft wire wheel, some steel wool and some fine grit sandpaper.

how easy it to get hold of the factory blue that the frame is painted in? does anyone know any numbers for it?

Cheers,

Jesse

• Markjb85

Posted September 20, 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thanks Jesse, you could use a wire wheel and then sand the parts you want polished, i just masked them areas off and painted the rest.

the paint is Yamaha PJ1 blue, most dealers should stock it.

Whats the island your on?

• wr-426

Posted September 20, 2011 - 06:03 PM

Cheers Mark,

I am from Christmas Island, so shipping of things is a pain in the arse for me, sometimes i sneak a few spray packs of paint on the plane with me when i come back over here. i'll try a few dealers in perth and see if i can get hold of any of that paint.

thanks again,
Jesse

• nnamssorxela

Posted September 23, 2011 - 12:12 PM

The previous owner of my bike powdercoated the frame metallic silver. I think it looks great!
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.