2012 WR450 ro 2012 YZ450 conversion...

17 replies to this topic
  • nickt916

Posted September 19, 2011 - 02:45 PM

I have been waiting for the FI WR for about 3 years, have been bikeless, but it was worth the wait :smashpc: (i was to busy to ride anyways...)

Now i cant wait to get my hands on the 2012 WR450. Im almost sure ill be converting it to a YZ450, nothing major, but things like eliminating some restrictions, removing taillights, relocating a few things, upgrading to black wheels (would mean ill have to go with a different speedo) and lastly shortening the muffler.

I have converted a 07 WR450 into a YZ450 look and i loved it!! On the 07 i think only the rear fender was differed and the side rear plastics due to the air filter access. On the 2012 WR and YZ, seems like all plastics are different, from front to back, im assuming its because the fuel tank is different due to the air filter relocation on the YZ, while the WR is still in the same spot.

Bellow is a 2012 WR450 and a YZ450 comparison, and bellow that is my 07 WR450, the 07 look is exactly what ill try to achieve with the 2012 WR.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• stroker

Posted September 19, 2011 - 07:43 PM

I once bought a brand new YZ400 and WR400 (think it was in 1999 or 2000?) and took the best parts of each bike, made what I wanted, took parts I didn't want put them on the other frame and sold it.

I was very happy with my "frankenstein" bike!! at the end the price was not bad either, recouped a big chunk on selling one.

• miweber929

Posted September 20, 2011 - 04:26 AM

So you removed the taillight, put on black wheels, different pipe and de-restricted it, wow, what an innovation!!!!!! Never heard of anyone doing that to a WR before.......

FYI, just from looking at the picture the ENTIRE chassis of the WR is different than the YZ to house the totally different motor setup. The main spars of the frame are even in totally different spots. I'd say it's a long shot that the subframe will be close enough to make the rear YZ fender fit, as you said the airbox is in a totally different location.

Black wheels: easy. De-restrict: fairly straight forward after someone develops FI box and software for it (beyond the Yamaha offered). Pipe: easy.

Your biggest hurdle will be getting to a YZ state of tune; since the 2 bikes are not even close motor-wise I'd say nothing will swap from. Yeah, they are both FI 450's but until speed shops make hotter cams, I'll say you'll only be making cosmetic changes. And then it's not an apples to apples compare.

Good luck, should be a cool bike when done.

• nickt916

Posted September 20, 2011 - 05:05 AM

Yup mostly going for YZ look since frame and engine is different. Will use WR or YZ muffler and cut it shorter. Might use YZ forms or retune WR forks. Upgrade rear to a 19" and few other mods. Very excited to get my hands on the 12 :smashpc:))

• STECKNINE

Posted September 20, 2011 - 06:40 AM

Why not just get a YZ :smashpc:

• miweber929

Posted September 20, 2011 - 07:14 AM

[quote name='nickt916']....Upgrade rear to a 19" ......[QUOTE]

How is the 19" rear wheel an upgrade? From everything I have read the reason the off road bikes use an 18" is for better rim protection in rocks. If you ride off road, you're not really "upgrading" to switch to a 19".

Mike

• stroker

Posted September 20, 2011 - 08:04 AM

Yamaha is offering a complete GYTR head for this bike, and many other parts, if you bought all the GYTR parts I am betting the result will be YZ type power!

• erickdj

Posted September 20, 2011 - 01:40 PM

Your biggest hurdle will be getting to a YZ state of tune; since the 2 bikes are not even close motor-wise I'd say nothing will swap from. Yeah, they are both FI 450's but until speed shops make hotter cams, I'll say you'll only be making cosmetic changes. And then it's not an apples to apples compare.

Cams from a 2007-2009 YZ are a possibility, the motor looks to be the same as the one in the current WR, with the exception of FI, that's my guess for the moment. The Yamaha handheld tuner might do the trick since it's marketed as "closed course" use only, but who knows, maybe they'll offer limited tuning compared to the YZ. In which case there probably would be an aftermarket tuner at some point or a whole different aftermarket CDI altogether.

• erickdj

Posted September 20, 2011 - 01:42 PM

Yamaha is offering a complete GYTR head for this bike, and many other parts, if you bought all the GYTR parts I am betting the result will be YZ type power!

Probably a lot cheaper to go with 07 YZ cams (if they fit, but very likely) and a custom port/polish job.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted September 20, 2011 - 02:23 PM

I'm guessing 51 hp:devil:

• SXP

Posted September 20, 2011 - 02:24 PM

Probably a lot cheaper to go with 07 YZ cams (if they fit, but very likely) and a custom port/polish job.

The GYTR head is a ported/polished piece.

• NewMexican

Posted September 20, 2011 - 02:57 PM

Sounds like a great plan Nick! Since they stayed with the 'old' 5-valve engine there are already tons of mods out there!

We were just talking about how my 08 YZF 450 is just as good as the new FI bikes, (if not better) and if they'd just add FI to that powerplant it would be the BEST 450 out there! Guess what, the very next day Yamaha announced this Frankenstien! :smashpc:

...and I mean that in the best of ways! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these and start tweakin it! I just put a big-bore on my 08, and it rips! ...planning on adding a GYRT head next, might just completely rip my arms off!

I do wish they would add a street-legal from the factory version though! (ala KTM EXC 530), but oh well can't be picky!

PS: Other note, I've already heard that my local shop is only getting Qty 2 of these bikes!?!?! :thumbsup:

Sounds like they might be rare, anyone else heard about limited releases?

• CodyWayne718

Posted November 06, 2011 - 05:15 PM

Are the 2012s as choked from the factory as the carbureted ones? Jus curious

• hodaka125

Posted June 30, 2012 - 09:47 AM

I got mine 2012 wr450 registered and tagged in nj

• BFox

Posted July 02, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Still need a high compression piston.Wossner,JE,Wiseco,Mahle.And prolly angrier and last longer than YZ.YZ is race and just above minimum standards for reliability and intervals between inspections/new parts

• mc1hd

Posted July 04, 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm thinking of turning mine into a moto cross setup as well, anyone figure out how to mount a front number plate securely without drilling and tapping? The wr does not have a trreaded center hole in the top clamp to mount an oem plate. I have a 07 yz front wheel assembly that I intended to use to get rid of the odo, still need another rotor. Braking shows it makes an oversize one for the 2012 which is the same part # for the 07 yz. Galfer says they do not know if there kit will fit or not at this point. Anyone have any luck mounting up an oversize setup on their 2012 wr?

• mc1hd

Posted July 05, 2012 - 10:07 AM

Looks like motocross action is doing the same thing.

Posted Image

• mc1hd

Posted July 26, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hey nickt916, hows your transformation from wr to yz coming along? Sure wish Motocross Action would hurry up with their project and tell exactly what and how they did it. One thing I have found out is the yz front number plate will hit at full lock on the ims tank and there is too much wiring to tyrap behind it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.