2012 KTM 300 XC-W vs 2012 250 SX

20 replies to this topic
  • Reef

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:12 AM

I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of the 300 XC-W and 250 SX, and I'm looking for some advice.

What type of riding am I doing? Mostly trails in Florida. Sand and single track. A see the occassional trip to the MX track on the horizon.

I'm a relative dirt bike novice. However I've been riding period for 30 years. I know it's a different game. Typically I ride in short bursts. Hour to hour and half max.

I just sold my CRF450R this morning.

I'm a bigger person at 200 pounds and 6' foot 3".

Back when I was younger I grew up on 2 smokes, and KTM now seems like the brand to do with.

Thanks for the advice.

• motoxhead

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:49 AM

250 or 300XC would be my bike of choice if my time was anything more than 50/50 mx/trails.

I bought the 250sx because my time is 90/10 mx/trails. However the larger tank, smoother power, wider tranny made me consider the XC because it is so versatile.

Though at your weight the XC may need stiffer springs. The SX springs will still be soft and the valving will be wrong too.

• Wrfrk

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:09 AM

motox is right, if you're having a hard time deciding between those 2 bikes, KTM made that decision for you already..... Meet the 300 XC!!

• rusky

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:26 AM

I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of the 300 XC-W and 250 SX, and I'm looking for some advice.

What type of riding am I doing? Mostly trails in Florida. Sand and single track. A see the occassional trip to the MX track on the horizon.

I'm a relative dirt bike novice. However I've been riding period for 30 years. I know it's a different game. Typically I ride in short bursts. Hour to hour and half max.

I just sold my CRF450R this morning.

I'm a bigger person at 200 pounds and 6' foot 3".

Back when I was younger I grew up on 2 smokes, and KTM now seems like the brand to do with.

Thanks for the advice.

I recently had the opportunity to check out KTM's 2012 line of bikes at my local dealer. I got to sit on a 250exc, 300exc, and a 150sx. Since I mainly ride MX or free ride out in the desert, I instantly fell in love with the 150sx. It felt like a mountain bike with a motor, extremely light! I'm also 6'3" but weigh 15 pounds less. For your application I would definitely go with the 300 because it is a much more comfortable bike to be on for long periods of time, especially if you're lugging it around trails.

• Reef

Posted September 19, 2011 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the input.

Why is it so many have swapped fro CRF450R's to KTM 2 strokes? Almost every thread I've read people have given up there CRF's for the KTM 2 smokes.

Saturday I'm going to look at both bikes. I love them both.

• rpt50

Posted September 19, 2011 - 04:39 PM

I agree with the above posts that the XC is probably the bike you want. However, consider price and if you like to do conversions. For example, when I bought my 09 250 SX for HS racing (new bike purchase), it was actually cheaper to buy the SX and add a revalve/respring and big tank. My OTD price (with suspension and tank) was several hundred less that a leftover 200 XCW.

If I had to do it again today however, I would just go ahead and buy the 250 or 300 XC, and sell the electric start to someone needing the parts.

• gmoss357

Posted September 19, 2011 - 05:18 PM

XC for sure, unless you are looking to save some coin, then the SX works pretty well too.

but, why do folks automatically gravitate toward the largest displacement made? If KTM made a 400 2 stroke, would that be considered? I don't know how often I see new riders on way more bike than they need or can handle just because they rode XR400's and such back in the day. Is it out manly manliness that makes us do it? LOL I know I made that mistake early on too, so I am not immune. :smashpc:

If you like having more power than you can use, then the 300 will work.

However, the 250 is plenty of engine, even for the FL sand.

BTW, I am 240-245lbs with gear.

• Ron731

Posted September 19, 2011 - 05:29 PM

Why is it so many have swapped fro CRF450R's to KTM 2 strokes? Almost every thread I've read people have given up there CRF's for the KTM 2 smokes.

I just sold my 2011 crf 450r only had it for 6 or so months.

I will Pick up my 2012 ktm 250 sx in the AM from the trucking comp.
I liked my honda but growing up on 2 strokes it was just a hard change for me.
The honda had tons or power but I just miss the 2 stroke. :smashpc:

My wife and daughter will keep there 2009 crf 150r But my daughter has been eyeing the ktm 80 :thumbsup:

The wife just about died when I told her I wanted a diff bike :busted:
But its all good now :lol::lol:

Ron.

• motoxhead

Posted September 19, 2011 - 05:32 PM

You're going to look at a new CRF450?

I don't people are switching from the CRF450 in particular. Although a lot of people are probably tired of being yanked around by their teeth on a 450. While some people have been riding their entire life and have great throttle control etc the majority of people would be better off on a smaller bore. It would be a nightmare in my opinion to learn how to ride a dirtbike with a 450 underneath me.

It is just so hard to learn how to lean, brake, manuever etc when a little wrist action has the bike barking forward.

• Reef

Posted September 19, 2011 - 05:55 PM

You're going to look at a new CRF450?

I don't people are switching from the CRF450 in particular. Although a lot of people are probably tired of being yanked around by their teeth on a 450. While some people have been riding their entire life and have great throttle control etc the majority of people would be better off on a smaller bore. It would be a nightmare in my opinion to learn how to ride a dirtbike with a 450 underneath me.

It is just so hard to learn how to lean, brake, manuever etc when a little wrist action has the bike barking forward.

No I have CRF450 now. :smashpc:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailmeisterjoe

Posted September 19, 2011 - 07:17 PM

I lucked out and have ONLY had KTM 2 strokes for the last 26 years and am on my 3rd 300 . I have no reason at all to change that pattern. I have ridden all the heavy and clumsy 450's over the years and like nothing about them especially considering they have only a tad more power if any.

Joe

• Reef

Posted September 21, 2011 - 03:10 PM

We and looked at both bikes.

The 300 XC-W would need a stiffer spring right away. I really dig the electric start, but too me it's just something else that could break.

I love the 250SX but the tranny would make trails a bit more work.

The price difference is almost 2K after taxes. I'm tempted to buy the 250 and do a little bit of work on it so it would fit my needs a bit better.

Both bikes are beautiful. Oh yeah, can you say narrow!!!

• gmoss357

Posted September 21, 2011 - 03:19 PM

We and looked at both bikes.

The 300 XC-W would need a stiffer spring right away. I really dig the electric start, but too me it's just something else that could break.

I love the 250SX but the tranny would make trails a bit more work.

The price difference is almost 2K after taxes. I'm tempted to buy the 250 and do a little bit of work on it so it would fit my needs a bit better.

Both bikes are beautiful. Oh yeah, can you say narrow!!!

haha, KTM doesn't make it easy. :smashpc: But, it is a great problem to have. hehe

• cs69camaro

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:15 PM

you will probably be surprised by the tranny on th SX. I have a 12 and ride alot of woods and it works out fine, the thing is like a tractor tons of grunt and I usually run in 2nd gear on most stuff, first if really tight. With the adjustable timing and powervalve you can move the power around alot to fine tune it to your preference. Just my 2 cents haha

• 2strokes_rule

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:44 PM

300 XC! I think the linkage bike is best for anyone who mentions MX/track/jumping.

FRESH, happy convert from three CRF450R's to a new 300 XC-W. Just wanted to add to the stat.

• TommyB 754

Posted September 21, 2011 - 07:55 PM

Unless you have a deposit down on a 250sx rule it out.

I've never got the why all the old and slow guys are so head over heals for the 300's? Maybe because they don't mind a lazy rider?:smashpc:

And you do relize your compairing a motocross race bike to a tamed down trail bike? The XCW is the most tame offering from KTM but the most trail compliant for most. So what do you want, MX or trail bike?

• 2strokes_rule

Posted September 21, 2011 - 08:03 PM

Unless you have a deposit down on a 250sx rule it out.

I've never got the why all the old and slow guys are so head over heals for the 300's? Maybe because they don't mind a lazy rider?:smashpc:

And you do relize your compairing a motocross race bike to a tamed down trail bike? The XCW is the most tame offering from KTM but the most trail compliant for most. So what do you want, MX or trail bike?

1. he's right...very hard to find
2. call me in ten years :thumbsup:
3. right again...looking at opposite ends of the spectrum

I've noticed the W's get no respect around here...still love mine :busted:.

• TommyB 754

Posted September 21, 2011 - 08:59 PM

I'm really good at stating the obvious. Maybe in ten years I'll be old enough to ride a big bike but I doubt I'll ever go over 250cc's with a 2T.

Not knocking the W, great bikes but they are more of "trail" bike then a racer like the SX and XC. The XC is MUCH more electric and user friendly when compaired to the SX and same goes for compairing the XCW to the XC..This is done with cylinder heads and ignitions for those wondering..The gear spread on the W's is great for those who have long transfer or road sections between trails or need to go hwy speeds.

• Reef

Posted September 24, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

A 2012 KTM 300XC came home today with me.

Posted Image

I went ahead and start ordering mods while waiting for the bike to be prepped.

Great experience at Cycle Sport Center in Orlando.

Posted September 25, 2011 - 05:56 PM

Congrats! I have a W too and LOVE it!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.