2010 Engine Rattle

5 replies to this topic
  • luckyguy19

Posted September 19, 2011 - 07:39 AM

When I shut off my 2010 YZ450F there is a bit of a rattle right as the engine winds down. It sounds like the cam chain. The bike runs perfect everywhere else, its only in shut off that I hear this noise. Anyone else hear this? It sounds similar to the chain slap my buddy has on his KTM 450 XC-W. I just hope its nothing to worry about.

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2011 - 07:51 AM

It's more likely to be the transmission and primary gears bouncing off each other. Any engine with fewer than 6 cylinders or more runs at a very unsteady speed at low RPM, accelerating on the power strokes and decelerating as it hits compression. The fewer cylinders, the more exaggerated the effect. Same is true during shut down. I haven't heard yours, but the description sounds typical.

• luckyguy19

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:22 AM

I only hear it after I've already pushed the kill switch. It really only happens for a second or two right before the engine completely stops turning.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2011 - 12:35 PM

I understood that. Same answer. If you are concerned about the cam chain, though, you can open the cam box up and check it out.

• luckyguy19

Posted September 19, 2011 - 02:21 PM

Sounds like its nothing to worry about. I did a valve check about 15 hours ago and they were all spot on, typical Yamaha.

• rider47

Posted September 20, 2011 - 09:59 AM

My 2010 doe's the samething since new! 51hr and counting.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.