Clarke or IMS

8 replies to this topic
  • tctrailrider

Posted September 15, 2003 - 02:14 PM

I have decided to go with a YZF type tank and want to keep the 3+ gallon capasity. Should I go with Clarke or IMS, or is there another that should be looked into?

• Javelin

Posted September 15, 2003 - 03:13 PM

Just installed a Clarke natural tanks for my 02 WR 426. No complaints. The folks at Clarke shipped it asap and installation was a snap. I tormented myself for a long time trying to decide between IMS, Clarke and the GYTR. Glad I went with what I did. :)

• MikeYarbrough

Posted September 15, 2003 - 03:40 PM

I think both are good products. My suggestion is to go with the natural color no matter which brand you choose. It sure makes checking the fuel level easier, it can be done by looking at the side of the tank... Blue tanks can be kind of hard to judge, you've got to pull the cap and try and guess where your level is at... :)

• comp182

Posted September 16, 2003 - 06:11 AM

I have had both tanks. I like the IMS tank as far as riding with it. It seems to be a little thinner in the thigh area. I don't like the duel petcocks however. On the header side the fuel line is like 1/4 to a 1/2 inch from touching the header. A little scary. I put a steel braided line in that side. It also is kinda a pain to take the tank off because the fuel line funs under everything and you have to fish the fuel line in and out.

To be honest if I had to do it again I will buy the Clarke natural color. I first bought the Blue Clarke tank then switched to the Natural IMS.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 16, 2003 - 06:54 AM

I've used IMS tanks on all of my bikes. But for your year and size of tank your looking for I'de get the Clarke. The Clarke tank seems to be more narrow up top where the IMS seems to fatter.. The Clarke (in my opinion) just looks better..

Dan

• luvtorid

Posted September 16, 2003 - 07:13 AM

I have had one IMS and now on my third Clark. The clark tanks fits and bolts in better. IMS pinched cable (my friends had the problem to) Clark bolted up to shrouds real nice. I personally like the natural. I dont run more fuel than I have to for weight savings.

• BlueThunder

Posted September 16, 2003 - 05:10 PM

Really like my Clarke tank but ran into one SNAFU....rear bottom right side of tank was rubbing against the shock reservoir and a hole at that location would make for a really angry day! Just glued a piece of industrial gasket material onto the tank damper and shimmed the tank off the reservoir. Pissed me off though....poor design flaw? :)

• kev426

Posted September 16, 2003 - 06:19 PM

Really like my Clarke tank but ran into one SNAFU....rear bottom right side of tank was rubbing against the shock reservoir and a hole at that location would make for a really angry day! Just glued a piece of industrial gasket material onto the tank damper and shimmed the tank off the reservoir. Pissed me off though....poor design flaw? :)

I had the same problem. I was cleaning my bike and saw it. Cut up a old mountain bike tire and glued it. Other than that it fits great.
Kevin

• tctrailrider

Posted September 17, 2003 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. Ordered the Clarke, natural and a SDG High Form seat.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.