Trouble with front axle bolt thingy

12 replies to this topic
  • FTD

Posted September 15, 2003 - 11:36 AM

I put a new tire on and am having trouble getting the damn front axle bolt to slide through. Greased it, bike on the stand, lined up plum, it goes through until the end of the hub.
Next comes the 3# sledge!!!! :)
I could not be a mechanic... let me tell ya'.
Help me with hints before I BREAK THE SOB!
Hoss

• Beta_Man

Posted September 15, 2003 - 11:48 AM

hammer a flat blade screw driver or a small chisle into the clam to separate it a bit and it should slide in easier. Also make sure the bolts are far enough out. :)

• PMAUST

Posted September 15, 2003 - 11:49 AM

Hoss, check to make sure that your pinch bolts on both side are nice and loose. Next, take a look at the gap expecially on the right side and make sure that it is not too closed. If it is, use a flat head screw driver or something similar and open it up a little more. It is ok to use a rubber mallet to gently tap it in if it is a little snug. Safer than using your hands. Let us know if this doesn't help.
:)
Paul

• sjw

Posted September 15, 2003 - 11:52 AM

its threaded somewhere in there

• MOmilkman

Posted September 15, 2003 - 12:33 PM

Next comes the 3# sledge!!!!

I hope your joking. You will have a whole new set of problems on your hands if you become impatient. :)

• FTD

Posted September 15, 2003 - 12:36 PM

Next comes the 3# sledge!!!!

I hope your joking. You will have a whole new set of problems on your hands if you become impatient. :D

I am joking but I do have a short fuse at times. :)
Just thinking, I bet that the right side clamp is tight. Of course I am at work so I can't check it. Seems that it stopped as the bolt started to widen at the point of entry into the clamp. I'll check.
Thank so much for rattling my simple mind.
Hoss

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MOmilkman

Posted September 15, 2003 - 01:16 PM

I figuered you were. I just said that because I know some people that would be stupid enough to do that.

Their theory: If it dont fit, cram it! :)

• FTD

Posted September 15, 2003 - 01:29 PM

Their theory: If it dont fit, cram it! :D

:)

• tctrailrider

Posted September 15, 2003 - 02:07 PM

FTD,
Light the front end on fire. This will expand the "do dads" and the bolt will slip right in.

• FTD

Posted September 15, 2003 - 03:02 PM

FTD,
Light the front end on fire. This will expand the "do dads" and the bolt will slip right in.

:) :D

• Gadsen

Posted September 15, 2003 - 07:28 PM

Pinch bolts too tight! And before you finish by tightening up those pinch bolts, grab your front brake lever and fully compress the front forks several times, then tighten the pinch bolts. :)

• gsxrguy

Posted September 15, 2003 - 08:15 PM

Or get a bigger hammer. :)

• FTD

Posted September 16, 2003 - 07:21 AM

Got it in. It fit tighter than Dennis Rodman in an 18 year old.
Hoss

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.