METAL compression release lever, what are my options?

12 replies to this topic
  • TattooedRedHead

Posted September 14, 2011 - 03:31 PM

I fear of breaking my ancient 2001 yz426f compression release lever, I'm wondering what my options are for an after market metal one?

Your knowledge is appreciated in advance, :)

--Kory

• sid_125_04

Posted September 14, 2011 - 04:38 PM

i have one ill give ya....but my opinion get a hot cam and throw the thing in the TRASH!:)

• TattooedRedHead

Posted September 14, 2011 - 10:17 PM

i have one ill give ya....but my opinion get a hot cam and throw the thing in the TRASH!:)

I'm not even sure what a hot cam is, I've heard talk about them but not sure what one is or what it does.

How involved is the installation of a hot cam? :)

• TattooedRedHead

Posted September 14, 2011 - 10:18 PM

Regardless of the hot cam, could you take a photo of your metal compression lever and post it here?

I'd be glad to give you some money for it and pay for shipping costs if I see the item first on this thread. :)

• caps 999

Posted September 15, 2011 - 04:19 AM

use a crf250 04-09 clutch perch works fine and turns 2 perches into one:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:46 AM

I'm not even sure what a hot cam is, I've heard talk about them but not sure what one is or what it does.

How involved is the installation of a hot cam? :)

The cam installation is as simple as replacing the exhaust cam with one from Hot Cams or another manufacturer that incorporates the auto decompression mechanism used in the YZ450. It eliminates the need for the manual decompression lever entirely, along with "the drill" of finding compression, advancing the crank just so far, etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TattooedRedHead

Posted September 15, 2011 - 08:24 AM

use a crf250 04-09 clutch perch works fine and turns 2 perches into one:thumbsup:

A HONDA PART ON MY YAMAHA?!

NEVER!

:):bonk::):bonk:;):bonk::)

• TattooedRedHead

Posted September 15, 2011 - 08:32 AM

The cam installation is as simple as replacing the exhaust cam with one from Hot Cams or another manufacturer that incorporates the auto decompression mechanism used in the YZ450. It eliminates the need for the manual decompression lever entirely, along with "the drill" of finding compression, advancing the crank just so far, etc.

I'm still a bit confused, is the part I'm looking for an entire camshaft? When I visit their official page all i see are replacement camshafts and shim kits. :)

Perhaps you can help me source the part for my 2001 YZ426F so I can skip the TDC process. :)

Here's the page I found:

http://www.hotcamsin...rch.aspx?page=1

Thank you in advance! ;)

--Kory

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2011 - 08:53 AM

Yes, and entire exhaust camshaft. Their Part #: 4035-1E

• TattooedRedHead

Posted September 15, 2011 - 10:01 AM

Thank you for your knowledge. So if I have this cam shaft installed I wont have to use the compression lever at all? Just kick the hell out of kick start while the choke is on? :)

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2011 - 10:06 AM

The process starts the same way. You push the crank through to where you find the resistance of the compression stroke, but then you skip the business about moving the crank any certain distance farther. You rasie the crank to the top from there, and give it a full, smooth kick over the top.

You can just stab away at it as if it were a 250 two stroke, but it's somewhat more effective to kick from the beginning of compression.

• TattooedRedHead

Posted September 15, 2011 - 10:08 AM

Awesome! This is definitely something I'll invest in.

Any idea what labor would run me?

The part alone is $200....

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2011 - 12:10 PM

A lot of guys would just do it themselves. It's no different than adjusting the valves. You'd need to call around if you're going to pay for it, I would think about an hour and a half's worth.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.