YZ to WR // WR to YZ ?

2 replies to this topic
  • Math

Posted September 15, 2003 - 10:12 AM

I hope this one won't sound ridiculous.

I noticed since I'm on this forum that many guys buy WRs and do YZ-type mods ( YZ timing, YZ seat and tank, ...)

I know that in 2003, YZ are 4 speeds but if we think about the past three years, were there some guys buying a YZ and make it an enduro by doing WR mods?

If not why? Flywheel?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted September 15, 2003 - 05:20 PM

I know that in 2003, YZ are 4 speeds but if we think about the past three years, were there some guys buying a YZ and make it an enduro by doing WR mods?

If not why? Flywheel?

Thanks

The problem with the YZ off-road, IMO, is the close ratio trans and super tall first gear, which for me would translate into a burnt clutch and faded brakes in a tight enduro. But YZs are very popular off-road, particularly out west where a close ratio is the hot ticket.

Popular off-road mods include big tanks, a flywheel weight, more to help with stalling than anything else IMO, as well as 18" wheels (often swapped with WR owners who ride moto, go figure), lighting coils, ridiculously tall gearing for Mexico, and of course SA/exhaust, guards/braces, handguards etc.

But the WR needs a lot of these things also. For racing, anyway, I don't see any off-road (enduro or otherwise) advantage inherent to the WR other than the tranny. The thing needs just as much work, if not more, to be ready to take off road. I've yet to see anybody race one with the stock tank, so you can't even discern which is what (I had an 18" wheel on my YZ, a few more observant types thought it was a WR)...

But I would not want a YZ trans if I were riding tight stuff, the WR's first gear is a godsend on a snotty downhill.

Not sure if that at all answers your question or not...

• Math

Posted September 15, 2003 - 06:11 PM

Since you have to put a lot of stuffs on both to have them ready to race off road, I understand that the advantage of the WR relies in the tranmission ratios and in the heavier flywheel...

I have never ridden a YZ426 and did not know the first gear was so long.

Thanks Hick!
:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.