2012 wr450f is revealed! With fi!

196 replies to this topic
  • OLHILLBILLY

Posted September 23, 2011 - 05:13 PM

:smashpc::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The new KTM 450 xcw sure sounds like its a game changer. Yamaha is putting forth a great effort though. I expect for there to be at least a $2K difference in price. And... those KTM's will be hard to find. Those two factors, will help sell a few new wr450's.

From what I've read, the 450XC-W MSRPs for $9299. '12 WR450 at $8099.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 25, 2011 - 10:10 PM

From what I've read, the 450XC-W MSRPs for $9299. '12 WR450 at $8099.

Yeah, but the KTM's will actually sell for $8899.00 or higher, and the WR's will sell for $7400.00 or lower..........

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted September 26, 2011 - 01:01 AM

Yeah, but the KTM's will actually sell for $8899.00 or higher, and the WR's will sell for $7400.00 or lower..........

The KTMs will sell for MSRP as fast as they hit the showroom (know 2 people who have the 450XC-W on pre-order). Last year the local dealer was out of bikes, both KTM and Husaberg, by the end of May. The '12 2 stroke KTMs will be all sold out before 2012 even gets here, happens every year.
Being new, the Yamahas will sell for, if we're lucky, a coupla hundred under MSRP until the '13s show up next year, then you might get the $7400 price.
Orange is definitely the predominate color in the woods here in the mid west, with the WRs being the second in popularity. All priced accordingly.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 26, 2011 - 02:17 PM

I suspect that the reason the new KTM's are up to $1500 is that people are willing to pay it. Buyers aren't stupid, so there's obviously some value there.

The WR is a very good value. if they've closed the performance gap a bit, then they should have a sure winner on their hands. How long will we have to wait for the wr350?

• wizbangdoodle

Posted September 27, 2011 - 03:50 PM

The price gap has to do with KTM's being platable and the WR's not, at least here in Washington. Soon to change though. As I understand it, any bike can be made street legal after the first of the year.

• NewMexican

Posted September 27, 2011 - 03:58 PM

This new WR is a bastard of sorts…

Old proven powerful and reliable YZ/WR motor, old great off-road handling WR swing arm and linkage, old plush and yet great bottoming control of the YZ SSS suspension, new nimble, light and yet precision handling YZ 250F frame, new crisp and reliable FI system of the YZ 450F and other combo of various parts from all the above.

My opinion without even riding one.

The best possible combo of Yamaha off-road parts ever assembled!
Make it street-legal and I’ll buy two!!!

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2011 - 03:59 PM

The price gap likely has far more to do with the KTM being Austrian and the WR being Japanese, combined with the market perception of the KTM as being superior in some technical way.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 27, 2011 - 04:53 PM

The price gap likely has far more to do with the KTM being Austrian and the WR being Japanese, combined with the market perception of the KTM as being superior in some technical way.

And also the pathetic value of the dollar vs the euro... that contributes to the price.

• kawi380

Posted September 28, 2011 - 04:51 AM

Either way I will stick with the 08 until the new one is little more mature:ride:. Mine is setup just right and it has only taken 3.5 years:banana:

• Mbirt

Posted September 28, 2011 - 12:43 PM

Can anyone tell if the 2012 motor is identical to the 2007-2011 unit except for the obvious EFI hardware? Did the 2011 cylinder head already have the location for the coolant temp sensor in its casting? If the cases/covers/crankshaft are the same, there is a high probability that the new flywheel (with what I assume to be a 12-1 pattern) and the new 3-phase charging system will swap onto a 2007-2011 motor.

This is a God-send for us Formula SAE teams if the above is true!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichGuy

Posted September 28, 2011 - 01:35 PM

As a 07 WR450 owner, I like what Yamaha has done with the 12 model with the exception of the weight. I had an 08 YZ250F that weighed 225 with fuel and the 07 WR450 weighed 277 stock with handguards with same amount of fuel(about 1.5 gal). The weight is very noticeable in every way.

Me and a riding buddy were discussing last year the unlikelyness of the new WR having the YZ450F motor and chassis considering the cost. I love the blue bikes, but still think Yamaha made a bone headed move with their decision to make such drastic changes to the YZ450 that are minimally beneficial. It is also very costly for them to have to make completely different parts from the ground up for the 450 and 250, and dealers have to try and stock all this...

Rich

• NewMexican

Posted September 29, 2011 - 12:21 PM

Can anyone tell if the 2012 motor is identical to the 2007-2011 unit except for the obvious EFI hardware? Did the 2011 cylinder head already have the location for the coolant temp sensor in its casting? If the cases/covers/crankshaft are the same, there is a high probability that the new flywheel (with what I assume to be a 12-1 pattern) and the new 3-phase charging system will swap onto a 2007-2011 motor.

This is a God-send for us Formula SAE teams if the above is true!

Very good points and questions!!! (for my own personal YZF reasons that is)

...anyone!?!?!

• dustdogg

Posted September 29, 2011 - 04:30 PM

As a 07 WR450 owner, I like what Yamaha has done with the 12 model with the exception of the weight. I had an 08 YZ250F that weighed 225 with fuel and the 07 WR450 weighed 277 stock with handguards with same amount of fuel(about 1.5 gal). The weight is very noticeable in every way.

Me and a riding buddy were discussing last year the unlikelyness of the new WR having the YZ450F motor and chassis considering the cost. I love the blue bikes, but still think Yamaha made a bone headed move with their decision to make such drastic changes to the YZ450 that are minimally beneficial. It is also very costly for them to have to make completely different parts from the ground up for the 450 and 250, and dealers have to try and stock all this...

Rich

From what I understand the new WR 450 is not exactly "all new". It IS new when compared to the 07-11 models but thats it. It shares the basic frame from the YZ 250F and uses the familiar 5 valve WR motor with the addition of EFI. Not sure if some of the EFI parts are from the quad or not, but they very well may be. The suspension is from the YZ which is a welcome addition over the earlier stuff. It is not the same breakthrough design that the latest YZ was, but this is a different type of bike. I'm sure that if the current YZ chassis/motor design was better for offroad then Yamaha would have went that route. The problem may have been with the starter, battery, airbox and larger fuel tank working with the YZ design. Who knows? Thats just my thoughts:thumbsup:

I like that Yamaha kept the same basic 5 valve that are known for their dependability. To be honest, with the free mods and a few bolt-ons they are plenty fast for most riders. The weight seems to be everyones biggest gripe but when you add electric start, EFI, lights it adds up. I think I will wait to see how the bike carries its weight.

• Mbirt

Posted September 29, 2011 - 08:38 PM

uses the familiar 5 valve WR motor with the addition of EFI. Not sure if some of the EFI parts are from the quad or not, but they very well may be.

Can the 07-11 WR owners nail this down for us? Are there any differences you can see in pictures of the '12 engines compared to your own? Comparing pictures side-by-side, I can't see any changes.

FWIW, the Yamaha US site claims the 2012 WR450f has CDI ignition instead of the TCI of the YZ and YFZ-R. The YZ has a 44mm Keihin TB, while the YFZ has a 42mm Mikuni TB. Articles for the new WR state it has a Keihin TB, but not what size.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 29, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Can the 07-11 WR owners nail this down for us? Are there any differences you can see in pictures of the '12 engines compared to your own? Comparing pictures side-by-side, I can't see any changes.

That's good. I see very few differences from the 03 thru 11 engines except where it carries its oil. I think its good they held on to that same engine. First , its so "paid for" in terms of development. Second, that engine has earned Yamaha a stellar reputation for being reliable. Third, it performs pretty well for the job its given.

I think having that same basic engine makes it more attractive.

• KGSloan

Posted September 30, 2011 - 06:17 AM

i can't come up with one situation where my wr450 hasn't had enough power (perhaps if i rode the motocross track). it is pretty rare that I need to use all that horsepower anywhere on the trail...on rare occasions in open sections I will hammer it down in third/fourth gear during an XC race.

so, i like the reliable 5 valve motor

i'm hoping the bike just rides and feels lighter than the current. that would make it feel like a feather compared to my 2004 wr

• grayracer513

Posted September 30, 2011 - 07:23 AM

I see very few differences from the 03 thru 11 engines except where it carries its oil.

There are more than that. The Gen1 ('03-'06) lubed the head externally, while the Gen2 uses internal passages. Gen2 engines have a 12mm wider transmission, and a wrist pin oiler/piston crown cooler tapped into the oil system.

It does not appear that the '12 engine assembly is fundamentally different, and frankly, it makes much more sense to me that it would stay with the Gen2 engine. There should be a considerable amount of interchangeability with the '07-'11 engines.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 30, 2011 - 06:28 PM

There are more than that. The Gen1 ('03-'06) lubed the head externally, while the Gen2 uses internal passages. Gen2 engines have a 12mm wider transmission, and a wrist pin oiler/piston crown cooler tapped into the oil system.

It does not appear that the '12 engine assembly is fundamentally different, and frankly, it makes much more sense to me that it would stay with the Gen2 engine. There should be a considerable amount of interchangeability with the '07-'11 engines.

Oh great. Now there is going to be a dozen threads on 'how do I put '12 FI on my '07?....!!

• grayracer513

Posted September 30, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Oh great. Now there is going to be a dozen threads on 'how do I put '12 FI on my '07?....!!

The answer to that will probably start with, "First you spend a huge amount of money..."

• shrubitup

Posted September 30, 2011 - 07:23 PM

The answer to that will probably start with, "First you spend a huge amount of money..."

I got this CR for $500 so buying a FI kit for a older 450F may not yield a similiar return rate.

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.