2012 wr450f is revealed! With fi!

196 replies to this topic
  • redswr

Posted September 21, 2011 - 11:40 PM

I'm hearing the new gen YZ450 and 250 are much easier now. Why would this be any different?

i had the 07 WR450 and it took me a couple days anytime i did carb work or checked the valves... i tend to give up after a couple of hours though lol

• wondermuscle

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Wondermuscle, Thanks for sharing that with me. I'm glad to know that the EFI bikes are able to run with the so-called Mexican fuel!!! Give me a few years, and who know's, maybe I'll warm up to these new fangled bikes!!! Maniac

Maniac - Have you ridden a FI bike? Not only are they super smooth and linear, they even sound different because the A/F mixture is so perfect.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:22 AM

My only question, I don't know if anyone else is wondering the same, what about the throttle stop? I want a '12 because I like the FI and frame, but I would like to still beable to have the longer throttle stop in it, but my understanding was the stop was part of the carb, anyone got some positive input?

• wondermuscle

Posted September 22, 2011 - 11:28 AM

My only question, I don't know if anyone else is wondering the same, what about the throttle stop? I want a '12 because I like the FI and frame, but I would like to still beable to have the longer throttle stop in it, but my understanding was the stop was part of the carb, anyone got some positive input?

I imagine that you could find another way to do that with the fuel and timing mapping rather than a mechanical stop.

Why would you want to do that?

• SXP

Posted September 22, 2011 - 11:38 AM

I imagine that you could find another way to do that with the fuel and timing mapping rather than a mechanical stop.

The stock WR450 ECU will not be programmable (a la YZ450F) for different maps because it's Green Stickered (CARB/EPA regs). You'll have to buy an aftermarket ECU and tuner for that.

• shrubitup

Posted September 22, 2011 - 12:43 PM

The stock WR450 ECU will not be programmable (a la YZ450F) for different maps because it's Green Stickered (CARB/EPA regs). You'll have to buy an aftermarket ECU and tuner for that.

What for $500 or so? :smashpc:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 22, 2011 - 01:07 PM

:thumbsup: to funny. Im liking my Carb more and more as this thread goes on :smashpc:

• soco3594

Posted September 22, 2011 - 01:12 PM

Very happy to see the arrival of EFI. I just wish they had based based it on the YZ450F frame and engine, I was never a fan of the look of the 250... I know they look similar but something about it just isn't quite right.

Either way, glad Yamaha still have faith in the off road market

• Newfoundlander

Posted September 22, 2011 - 01:55 PM

This info was on the Canadian site
http://www.yamaha-mo...up=M#contentTop

Optional, compact, hand held "YZ Power Tuner" allows tailoring of both fuel injection settings and ignition mapping. Nine (9) different setting points can be accessed for both the FI and ignition maps. Maps can be stored and shared with other Power Tuners if desired. Easy access plug-in port located near the left hand side cover of the WR450F.

• Yamaha_James

Posted September 22, 2011 - 02:05 PM

I would want to do this so I get the full throttle capacity of the bike, not just half of the bikes capability, literally. People here must know what I am talking about I cant find the specific threads but the wr/yz share carbs and the wr to be green sticker has a much linger throttle stop. I don;t live hwere green sticker is needed so I would like to have the shorter stop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • off_road_4_me

Posted September 22, 2011 - 02:07 PM

or maybe it no longer has a limit on throttle because it runs cleaner thanks to efi.

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2011 - 02:21 PM

I don't think the throttle stop was ever about emissions. Emissions are not measured at or anywhere near full throttle, so it wouldn't have made a difference. It was, as I understand it, more to do with noise.

The Canadian site probably does have info about the programmability of the ECU on the Canadian bikes, but the EPA and CARB have no say about that. Lucky for them, eh? The Canadian versions from '05 up didn't have the cute little plug blocking access to the pilot mixture screw, either. The US versions will need the GYT-R ECU and then the tuner.

• dcg141

Posted September 22, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Don't forget there is a lot of fluff weight added to epa approved bikes.

Right now, the Yamaha is green stiker legal bike and it is supposed to be about 10 lbs more than the 2012 KTM 450XCF which is not green sticker legal.

Let's compare apples to apples: stock the KTM is roughly 10 lbs lighter BUT... the KTM will have no headlight, no taillight, no rad overflow tank, no twin wall fuel cell, no massive super heavy muffler. These things easily account for at least 10 lbs.

So yes, on the Yamaha, if the 10 lbs will make a difference to you, you can remove that weight pretty quick and easy, probably with just a Titanium exhaust and lithium battery.

These two parts should give you a Yamaha race bike the same weight as a KTM race bike, but you will have full lighting and a rad overflow tank PLUS a green sticker on the Yamaha. on the KTM? a green sticker may not exist no matter what you spend on it.

Once this bike is sitting on the starting line it will be similar weight and very competitive with anything else that has a 450 motor and e start.

Yamaha is not a stupid company.:smashpc:

Let's keep an open mind and see what the real world owners have to say....

Well actually there is no 2012 KTM 450 XCF. The last year KTM made the 450 XCF was 2009. There is a 2012 KTM 450 XCW. The XCW is green sticker legal and has lights. It has shed quite a bit of weight as there is a new engine, frame, body work ect and is fuel injected for 2012. The new engine is now lighter than the 450 SX engine. The weight difference now between the 2 bikes adjusting for fuel is about 17 LBS. In fact the 2012 KTM 450 XCW with a six speed tranny and estart and kick start and lights is only 8 lbs heavier than a 2012 YZ 450. Its cool to compare apples and apples just make sure thats what your comparing.

Edited by dcg141, September 22, 2011 - 10:02 PM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 22, 2011 - 11:41 PM

Well actually there is no 2012 KTM 450 XCF. The last year KTM made the 450 XCF was 2009. There is a 2012 KTM 450 XCW. The XCW is green sticker legal and has lights. It has shed quite a bit of weight as there is a new engine, frame, body work ect and is fuel injected for 2012. The new engine is now lighter than the 450 SX engine. The weight difference now between the 2 bikes adjusting for fuel is about 17 LBS. In fact the 2012 KTM 450 XCW with a six speed tranny and estart and kick start and lights is only 8 lbs heavier than a 2012 YZ 450. Its cool to compare apples and apples just make sure thats what your comparing.

:smashpc::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The new KTM 450 xcw sure sounds like its a game changer. Yamaha is putting forth a great effort though. I expect for there to be at least a $2K difference in price. And... those KTM's will be hard to find. Those two factors, will help sell a few new wr450's.

• gsa102

Posted September 23, 2011 - 03:54 AM

The magazine I read last month raved about the 12 KTM 450. They raced it stock and were very happy with it. I am curious to see how the 12 WR compares.

Edited by gsa102, September 23, 2011 - 02:06 PM.

• tucker78

Posted September 23, 2011 - 09:03 AM

I'm very much looking forward to a shootout between the 12 WR450f and the 12 KTM 300xc. Imo, the only place the WR may be a better option would be in desert type environments. Other then that, it's prolly gonna be labeled as pretty much the same old bike. Only now, even heavier!! There really is no excuse for not taking steps to reduce this things pork.:smashpc:

• F350JOHN

Posted September 23, 2011 - 09:57 AM

I hope that this gets things going again for offroad...I like Yamaha, but I hope Honda and Kawasaki decide to play too...
(Not with their current offerings.)

• F350JOHN

Posted September 23, 2011 - 10:00 AM

Very happy to see the arrival of EFI. I just wish they had based based it on the YZ450F frame and engine...

Why didn't they? Two words: fuel capicity.

Either way, glad Yamaha still have faith in the off road market

Agreed.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 23, 2011 - 12:10 PM

I'm very much looking forward to a shootout between the 12 WR450f and the 12 KTM 300xc. Imo, the only place the WR may be a better option would be in desert type environments. Other then that, it's prolly gonna be labeled as pretty much the same old bike. Only now, even heavier!! There really is no excuse for not taking steps to reduce this things pork.:smashpc:

I've never seen a wr450f and a 300xc compared back to back. They are two seperate animals. Both great bikes for sure, but totally different.

• tucker78

Posted September 23, 2011 - 05:01 PM

I've never seen a wr450f and a 300xc compared back to back. They are two seperate animals. Both great bikes for sure, but totally different.

Well then, that's a great reason for MXA to do a comparison. Both bikes are designed in large part to excel in similar environments. Are they not? Off road, desert, woods, hare scrambles, etc. Yamaha is very much interested in grabbing a few of the 300xc's potential customers.:smashpc: However, with their past, and present offerings i just don't see the latest generation being too great to pass up. Mark my words. By next July, these new WR's will be offered with large discounts and Yamaha cash to try and move them. I do the majority of my riding in Michigan where these types of machines are the bread and butter for the huge public riding trail networks provided. While i do see some WR's in Michigan, There are LOTS of XC's on Michigan orv trails. I guess only time will tell?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.