2012 wr450f is revealed! With fi!

196 replies to this topic
  • off_road_4_me

Posted September 15, 2011 - 04:35 PM

OK... so give me a different perspective...

You said it yourself, its rumored weight (hasn't even been released on yamaha's website yet) is in the same area as everything else its got similar hp, the dual chamber forks off the yzf, a frame of the same design as a yz250f (which having ridden one I can honestly say I love the way it handles) efi, e start, blah blah blah.

So why is this 12 wr450f, which was released yesterday, which we know what it features but not how it actually rides,not for racing? maybe its ideal for whatever racing you do, but hey, your entitled to that opinion, ride what your comfortable with, it just seems to me that you're knocking a bike you haven't tried yet. I'll probably be buying one to race the wheels off of in desert, just like I have with my current wr.

• foxomatica

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:32 PM

I don't see anything about weight. Any thoughts?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:00 PM

275lbs full of fuel (I am assuming) puts it right in the ballpark with the other bikes. This is not really a race bike, its a trail bike. Its capable of some really "spirited" rides, but that's what it is.

How it rides matter more than what it weighs. Just don't drop it:thumbsup:

Don't think ferrari, think... cadillac.

Maurice.....Caddillac? That's reserved for the crf450x. My X is 294 with a full 3.2 tank.

The WR will probably be the same weight it is now, which till makes it the lightest Wide Ratio bike coming from Japan, and only 15lbs heavier than your KTM.

• dustdogg

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:12 PM

I don't see anything about weight. Any thoughts?

My best guess is that it will weigh about the same as the previous generation WR. Once you add a battery, starter, kickstand, lights and a larger fuel tank its gonna add weight. I really don't see many areas that can shed much weight without loosing strength or adding more $$$$ in light weight hardware or exotic metals. I think that this is where the buyer must decide if these conviences are worth the extra weight. Most of my riding is desert and for me these extra items are a necessity and I will gladly put up with the extra weight in order to push 'the button', turn on my lights, and not have to look for a rock or tree when I park my bike. Not bashing MX bikes, they are great for those that don't go for long rides or ride mostly track but thats not me. With the new WR Yamah has just made that decision a little tougher:smirk:

• shrubitup

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Nice bike!!! Hope to find me a pre '12 for cheap now. :)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:42 PM

You said it yourself, its rumored weight (hasn't even been released on yamaha's website yet) is in the same area as everything else its got similar hp, the dual chamber forks off the yzf, a frame of the same design as a yz250f (which having ridden one I can honestly say I love the way it handles) efi, e start, blah blah blah.

So why is this 12 wr450f, which was released yesterday, which we know what it features but not how it actually rides,not for racing? maybe its ideal for whatever racing you do, but hey, your entitled to that opinion, ride what your comfortable with, it just seems to me that you're knocking a bike you haven't tried yet. I'll probably be buying one to race the wheels off of in desert, just like I have with my current wr.

so you disagree when I say that its not for racing....

Just because I say that doesn't mean I'm knocking the bike. I happen to like my 05 wr very much. Its a great bike. Lighten up a bit, will ya? I race desert as well and stated an opinion. I'm as excited to see this bike in action as the next guy.

• umu24013

Posted September 16, 2011 - 01:12 AM

• MANIAC998

Posted September 16, 2011 - 03:44 AM

Did anyone else notice that Randy Hawkins uses the throttle to help start it? Just like most carb equipped WR's! So much for "EFI" being the cure-all for everyone's jetting woe's! I'll take a FCR with JD jetting over EFI every time. But that's just me. Your results may vary. Maniac

• Tmall

Posted September 16, 2011 - 03:49 AM

Did anyone else notice that Randy Hawkins uses the throttle to help start it? Just like most carb equipped WR's! So much for "EFI" being the cure-all for everyone's jetting woe's! I'll take a FCR with JD jetting over EFI every time. But that's just me. Your results may vary. Maniac

I know it's not the same bike, but I can start my fuel injected 450 by leaning over the seat and pushing down the kickstart by hand. It never takes more than three "kicks" when cold, and one when hot..

• GuyGraham

Posted September 16, 2011 - 04:11 AM

13/50 is a bit low for a 450 isn't it?

No

I run 12/50 on my 450 and it still does over 70mph
had to go to a 12T front, coz 13T front meant first was still to high and it was running away with on the real tight stuff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Newfoundlander

Posted September 16, 2011 - 04:41 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that the wet weight is listed on the Canadian site as 124kg or 273.5 lbs.

• Newfoundlander

Posted September 16, 2011 - 05:08 AM

This is the comparison from the Canadian site for the 2011 and 2012 WR

http://www.yamaha-mo...2=3869&model3=

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 16, 2011 - 05:31 AM

Are you saying that Hawkin's hand on the throttle proves that EFI isn't That's quite a reach isn't it?

I would say EFI is the future, but its more accurate to say that carbs are a thing of the past.

• off_road_4_me

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:01 AM

so you disagree when I say that its not for racing....

Just because I say that doesn't mean I'm knocking the bike. I happen to like my 05 wr very much. Its a great bike. Lighten up a bit, will ya? I race desert as well and stated an opinion. I'm as excited to see this bike in action as the next guy.

That I do.
not sure where you get the idea that I'm tense just because I disagree with you :)

• shrubitup

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:07 AM

This is the comparison from the Canadian site for the 2011 and 2012 WR

http://www.yamaha-mo...2=3869&model3=

Confirms that it's 4.5 lbs. heavier. Different frame and better handling/suspension prolly hide that weight pretty good. It's not like the KLX450R or CRF450X are any lighter.

That said, I do like my MX 250F on the tightest mountain switchbacks. Very light. But 450s will never be as light as a 250F. :)

• off_road_4_me

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:15 AM

Confirms that it's 4.5 lbs. heavier. Different frame and better handling/suspension prolly hide that weight pretty good. It's not like the KLX450R or CRF450X are any lighter.

That said, I do like my MX 250F on the tightest mountain switchbacks. Very light. But 450s will never be as light as a 250F. :)

and the fact that when you do dump it you don't have to kick for a year and a half to get it to fire :)

• shrubitup

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:45 AM

and the fact that when you do dump it you don't have to kick for a year and a half to get it to fire :)

JD jetting to the rescue but I agree partially. I've grown to accept variable results from kickstarting. Hey, it's not like I'm racing or anything. :)

• gsa102

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:25 AM

I'll let you guys know Sunday (9/18) how the bike rides/feels/weighs etc. Maybe some pics if allowed......:);)

On the edge of my seat waiting...:)

I am curious how it is in the slippery stuff. My old FI bike had throttle response like a lightswitch off idle...but rekluse can fix that.

• F350JOHN

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:46 AM

This oversight is funny:

Posted Image

It's for those days when you want to use your 250F subframe...:)

• shrubitup

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:53 AM

This oversight is funny:

Posted Image

It's for those days when you want to use your 250F subframe...:)

Keeps the costs low - or not. Wonder why they use the dated swingarm though? :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.