Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:37 AM

Yes. You did way back on post #59:

http://www.thumperta...95#post10664695

My response was:

http://www.thumperta...82#post10669182

But that was 121 posts ago. Hopefully a similiar inquiry arises. :thumbsup:

• off_road_4_me

Posted October 27, 2011 - 11:48 AM

nobody seems to care as much as you do....

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 27, 2011 - 09:50 PM

The real question is.... does Yamaha intend to race this bike? Or will their offroad team be riding modded yz's

Can they compete with KTM

• F350JOHN

Posted October 28, 2011 - 05:02 AM

nobody seems to care as much as you do....

Have a sense of humor...:thumbsup: This is a forum, not an Emergency Room.

• off_road_4_me

Posted October 28, 2011 - 06:19 AM

Have a sense of humor...:thumbsup: This is a forum, not an Emergency Room.

On the contrary my sense of humor is just fine. its just that an extra bolt hole is irrelevant to me and I fail to see it as funny.

• F350JOHN

Posted October 28, 2011 - 06:23 AM

On the contrary my sense of humor is just fine. its just that an extra bolt hole is irrelevant to me and I fail to see it as funny.

Truer words were never spoken. :thumbsup:

• off_road_4_me

Posted October 28, 2011 - 06:24 AM

yup. vote for me in 2012

• F350JOHN

Posted October 28, 2011 - 06:28 AM

yup. vote for me in 2012

I will. I've always been a big supporter of your ideas on policy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted October 28, 2011 - 06:32 AM

What about his DADT policy on the extra bolt hole though? :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2011 - 07:13 AM

The real question is.... does Yamaha intend to race this bike? Or will their offroad team be riding modded yz's

The way I see it, there isn't a compelling reason to choose the YZF over this WR. Change the cams, drop some weight and be done with it.

• Dumb_Fee

Posted October 28, 2011 - 07:41 AM

It will be interesting what they choose since Yamaha has never had a "huge" professional presense at off road races

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 28, 2011 - 09:35 AM

The way I see it, there isn't a compelling reason to choose the YZF over this WR. Change the cams, drop some weight and be done with it.

For racing purposes, the weight means a lot. I wonder how they would drop some weight and why they just don't do that in the beginning.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 28, 2011 - 10:55 AM

Just watch, for the adventure crowd someone is going to develop one of those panier rack thingies to keep your saddle bags from getting eaten by the rear tire. We'll find that extra mountain hole is just perfect for that and people will think it's awesome. Personally, I could care less that the frame works for two different bikes. Give Yamaha a little credit here, does it make more sense for them to add an extra hole on the frame or reconfigure the whole 250f subframe so it can accomodate a side opening airbox, battery, overflow reservoir and god knows what else? What they did is just good business and has zero effect on how the bike performs.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 28, 2011 - 10:57 AM

I would be surprised if they switch, Ampro has that YZ rockin' off road and they are already plenty competitive with KTM on the YZ.

• Bandit9

Posted October 30, 2011 - 11:44 AM

The forks are the best update. Everything else isn't impressive, except the headlight really sucks. I have the SST forks on my YZ and they are pretty impressive. Been searching for a set of SST's for my WR.

I stripped my 06 WR450 down for Eastern Enduro/Harescramble racing. It was ok, but still heavy, hard to turn, took for ever to stop, just wore me out when you start pushing it. So I stopped banging my head against the wall and I bought a YZ250 to race. The WR is back to being a trail bike. It is much happier as a trail bike and I like it better in that state of tune. Race the YZ or YZF.

Out on the desert, the WR makes a better racer, but after riding a Hare and Hound loop on a WR then on a YZF, most racers will choose the YZF. They are just lighter and ready to go. Especially with WR tranny in a YZ. I think that is where Yamaha is missing the boat.

Just offer another parts bin bike: YZ450F-XC, YZ250F-XC, and YZ250-XC all with Wide Ratio tranny.

-Everthing YZF except for the WR tank, tranny, E start, 18" rear wheel. YZ250-XC of course no e start.
-No lights, no emissions
-Suspension tune for Off Road
-For racing only, no green sticker.

Tell me they wouldn't put a nice dent into the Euro bike's market share. Just assemble with the parts, I don't think 1 new part would be necessary. I would bet they would sell more of the YZ450F-XC than the 2102 WR450. I guarantee it.

• miweber929

Posted October 31, 2011 - 03:23 AM

^^ There would be a small amount sold at first then once they dried up, no more sales. I don't see this as being a viable product from a business standpoint.

It's like this: if you took all the equipment off a WR to make it competitive, people would bitch about the no estart, no lights, etc. and eont buy it, no need. Leave it on, people bitch about the weight but still buy it as its different than the YZF and can putt around as a nice trail bike. That equals units sold. And thus the aftermarket is born.

KTM makes do by parts binning bikes but that model won't work for Yamaha as they are required to post huge profits and gains for the stick holders, their assembly lines have to be retrained, parts supplies have to be created for 10+ years, mechanics need to be trained in the differences it's a huge undertaking for one model change. You won't see Yamaha make a change until they are forced to, see how long it took for FI on the WR? That bike was UNCHANGED from 07-11 and still has the old motor in it. I rode an year and modded KTM XC and XCW 250 for a day a few years ago and honestly could not tell a difference between the 2.

For every raced WR they sell, they sell 3 or 4 ones that get brought up to a cabin or ridden around campground land and ignored after. You stand a much better chance seeing a WR450 dual sport than a racer; far bigger market that direction.

JMHO,
Mike

• XRYoda

Posted November 01, 2011 - 11:58 PM

This is a big change for the Japanese manufacturing mindset. I love it, and cant wait to try one of these things.
I had a 06' wr, raced it, then went to a converted a YZF450, raced it, and settled on KTM's, first a 450 and now a 350.
I love the story of this WR, in a smaller, nimble 250 chassis. Kind of like what KTM had with the 350, it was a game changer. Honestly, I will probably never buy a WR again, I focus on racing and don't mind spending a little more on a ktm.. but I love what Yamaha is doing with this WR. It will be a baddazz bike. I have a soft spot in my heart for Yamahas,the reliability and legendary suspension. this bike should be awesome. I cant wait for some reviews. I havent seen a tank size for the bike, FI will help with mileage. Hopefully the bike has a decent range. One thing I can recommend for the japanese manufactures, add a large tank for the offroad models, KTM did this on the latest bikes, eliminating the need to spend an extra couple hundred bucks to upgrade the bike, making the true extra cost for a new bike smaller. Yeah, the KTM's are a little more, but the cost to upgrade the bike to make it into a racer or serious trail bike is less. Anyways, props to Yamaha, now they need to do something with the YZ250 2-stroke and make an updated off road version with parts bin pieces. Sell it cheaper than a KTM, it would be a great bike (there is a cult following of the converted YZ250's in off-road already) and Yamaha would have a slam dunk.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.