any good aftermarket shift levers for '00 400/26??

9 replies to this topic
  • ZéPovinho

Posted September 14, 2011 - 12:25 AM

does anybody as ever got a good non OEM shift levers for a '00 WR400f?
any good or bad input/experiences?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by ZéPovinho, September 18, 2011 - 01:53 AM.

• ZéPovinho

Posted September 18, 2011 - 02:23 AM

are you guys only using the OEM stuff?

• nnamssorxela

Posted September 18, 2011 - 05:51 PM

I have the ASV unbreakable levers on my 400. I rarely ride it because it's always broken, but when I do the levers seem to feel and work well. IIRC they are a little shorter and beefier than stock. They came on the bike when I bought it and I'm not sure if they are really necessary.

My complaint is that the main pivot is the only one that doesn't have bearings, which for me seems completely pointless as that is the only pivot that needs them! Because of this there is a little bit of slop as expected but not nearly as bad as the stock levers. I plan on going through them soon and replacing any worn bolt and maybe adding some shims to the main pivot.

• SXP

Posted September 19, 2011 - 05:51 AM

I have the ASV unbreakable levers on my 400. I rarely ride it because it's always broken, but when I do the levers seem to feel and work well. IIRC they are a little shorter and beefier than stock. They came on the bike when I bought it and I'm not sure if they are really necessary.

My complaint is that the main pivot is the only one that doesn't have bearings, which for me seems completely pointless as that is the only pivot that needs them! Because of this there is a little bit of slop as expected but not nearly as bad as the stock levers. I plan on going through them soon and replacing any worn bolt and maybe adding some shims to the main pivot.

I believe he's talking about the gear shifter, not the clutch lever!

Here's something a quick internet search popped up: http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=3029

I have no experience with it, although the feedback on that website seems generally positive.

• 2smokeforlife

Posted September 19, 2011 - 06:01 AM

you could try a moose steel lever. have heard ok things about them. i think that is the only one. I would stay away form aftermarket aluminum way to soft and tolerance are not vary good on the splines so you will be tightening in every ride. just spent the extra couple of $$ and get OEM you cant go wrong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted September 19, 2011 - 06:06 AM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]why are you looking for an after market shifter?Did you ruin your stock one or do you need one to fit your boot better

I have seen hammerhead shifters. They are really nice looking from what I saw but never tried them
A good OEM lever with a shift shaft that has a good set of splines will keep your shift liver nice and tight without rattling around

[/COLOR]

• nnamssorxela

Posted September 19, 2011 - 06:59 AM

oops! must have miss read or was thinking of a different thread...carry on...:smashpc:

• GCannon

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:47 AM

I prefer the OEM shifter since it is "Drop Forged" aluminum much stronger than a aftermarket cast aluminum. I have not had good luck with cast aluminum MSR shifter.

The Hammerhead designs look very robust but you pay for that.

The stock shifter from the dealer is around $45.

• wondermuscle

Posted September 19, 2011 - 11:29 AM

you could try a moose steel lever. have heard ok things about them.

I would run the IMS steel version like I do on my 450. Steel bends, cast AL breaks. The splines hold up great and they are cheap so they can be replaced often. When your splines get worn out you can then weld the lever to the shaft.

• BEAN329

Posted September 20, 2011 - 08:16 PM

I think I use a MSR xr400 shifter (steel). I needed a longer shifter because of my big feet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.