Pilot jet problems

25 replies to this topic
  • 1991CR250RBEAST

Posted October 06, 2011 - 04:55 AM

Nasty looking valves/seals.What do you think Grayracer?

Posted Image Posted Image

• 1991CR250RBEAST

Posted October 06, 2011 - 04:59 AM

Carb surgery.
Posted Image

Anti-bog mod.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Wiz636

Posted October 06, 2011 - 07:00 AM

Here are a few pics.

I'm guessing the PO didn't know how to change the oil filter,or he couldn't get it out because of his brilliant idea to weld the pipe and silencer together.
Posted Image

The tears in the filter make me nervous.
Posted Image

Whoa! That would make me nervous too...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2011 - 07:08 AM

You can't see the valve seals from there, and the exhaust valve carbon isn't a big worry, either. But throw that filter far away, and do three or 4 oil changes in a row at 3 hour intervals with new filters each time (or buy a Scotts).

That's an old brass OEM filter...no good.

• todds924

Posted October 10, 2011 - 07:09 PM

Well I opened up a can of worms tonight.I started out wanting to get the exhaust off to weld up the crap job the previous owner had done and get rid of all the leaks he left with his globs of flux.I figured on only having to take the carb off. :worthy: No such luck.I had to remove the Seat,tank,sub-frame,rear shock and right radiator just to be able to twist and contort the pipe and silencer to get them off the bike.Genius idea he had welding the two together. :thumbsup:

The original owner welded it while it was on the bike and he missed seams on the other side and underneath that he couldn't reach so I guess he never thought of taking it off,or changing the oil filter for that matter ever again.:worthy:

Anyway I will be grinding down the welds and fixing all the holes sometime this weekend,while the pipe is off I will change the oil and filter as well.It will be a few weeks before I get her up and running again.I never understood what the hell people are thinking.Why not just do it right the first time so crap like this doesn't happen. :ride:

I'll update with pics of the tear down this weekend.

Here are a few pics before the surgery.

Posted Image
Posted Image

No WAy, not in a million years,,,,could any reasonable person consider "Welding" the pipe together.."doing it right"
I dont think theres enough metal shavings in that filter yet........And the crank is still good?

• 1991CR250RBEAST

Posted October 11, 2011 - 08:30 AM

No WAy, not in a million years,,,,could any reasonable person consider "Welding" the pipe together.."doing it right"
I dont think theres enough metal shavings in that filter yet........And the crank is still good?

I wasn't implying welding the pipe is the right way,I meant why didn't he just buy a new clamp in the first place?Rather than spend money for a new pipe and silence that I can't afford I grinded down his welds and fixed the holes. Never did I imply that was the right way.

To the question.... I'll find out the condition of the crank when I do a tear down this winter. None of the shavings were magnetic so I'm hoping it's nothing major.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.