love my 06 yz-f will i like a 2011 yz-f

31 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:01 PM

Not really. Every EFI system I know of is built with very seriously upgraded filtration so as to deal with this concern. From a practical standpoint, it just isn't a problem.

• todds924

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Not really. Every EFI system I know of is built with very seriously upgraded filtration so as to deal with this concern. From a practical standpoint, it just isn't a problem.

Fuel pumps are more apt to go bad from sitting than an injector.

• tech24

Posted September 15, 2011 - 04:13 AM

I think you need to read a little about FI. Look at you statement carefully and see what is wrong with what you just said. Now, I give you a straw and ask you to fit a baseball down it, how much pressure do you think you will need to make it work?

More pressure isn't going to make the baseball go through the straw easier, faster, better. Straw has it limitations as does FI. Something as small as a grain of sand or smaller could easily plug the nozzle causing a FI failure. It doesn't take much. Twisting throttle open farther isnt going to help!

LOL, yeah i need to read...its kinda how I make a living. First of all how is a grain of sand going to get in to a fuel injector? Sencond how do you think I clean fuel injectors? Pressure and detergent.....similar detergents that are already in fuel. And under 100% duty cylce there is good amount of fuel and detergents flowing essentially "cleaning" varnish. However I agree yes dirt and debris can easily clog an injector but if that is getting into the fuel system you have other problems.

• tech24

Posted September 15, 2011 - 04:14 AM

Fuel pumps are more apt to go bad from sitting than an injector.

How so? Just curious never heard this before. Fuel pumps main enemy is heat and air (from running out or low on fuel).

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:37 AM

How so?

Todd didn't say they were particularly prone to failure from sitting, only that they were more prone to it than an injector is. Fuel pumps use a number of "rubber" O-rings and other parts in their low pressure and feed stages, and these are subject to the same sort of shrinkage and dry-out problems that such parts would face in a carb. If they are kept wet, there isn't much of an issue.

• tech24

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:39 AM

Todd didn't say they were particularly prone to failure from sitting, only that they were more prone to it than an injector is. Fuel pumps use a number of "rubber" O-rings and other parts in their low pressure and feed stages, and these are subject to the same sort of shrinkage and dry-out problems that such parts would face in a carb. If they are kept wet, there isn't much of an issue.

ah makes sense, not what I was thinking.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:55 AM

LOL, yeah i need to read...its kinda how I make a living. First of all how is a grain of sand going to get in to a fuel injector? Sencond how do you think I clean fuel injectors? Pressure and detergent.....similar detergents that are already in fuel. And under 100% duty cylce there is good amount of fuel and detergents flowing essentially "cleaning" varnish. However I agree yes dirt and debris can easily clog an injector but if that is getting into the fuel system you have other problems.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick but I can see how that came off. I was refering to your comment about just twistin the throttle open farther. Some people might actually believe that to be a solution to a bogger problem with the FI. You are correct though and as you know many people don't know the first thin about maintaince. Through normal operation and maintenance, FI should and will run well or better then a carb. But, lots of people just dump whatever is available in there bikes without thinking twice about it and that can lead to some major problems in the future regarding FI.

• tech24

Posted September 15, 2011 - 10:42 AM

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick but I can see how that came off. I was refering to your comment about just twistin the throttle open farther. Some people might actually believe that to be a solution to a bogger problem with the FI. You are correct though and as you know many people don't know the first thin about maintaince. Through normal operation and maintenance, FI should and will run well or better then a carb. But, lots of people just dump whatever is available in there bikes without thinking twice about it and that can lead to some major problems in the future regarding FI.

ah you can't tell on the web if someone is being a dick or not, no big deal I wasn't trying to be either but probably came across that way.

In my case I guess I could add that I run BG CF5 in all the fuel I use...not sure exactly whats in it but its a mild cleaner and stabilizer so I suspect I have a rather clean fuel system and maybe even less carbon but I'll never know until something breaks and gotta tear it apart.

• jcm3

Posted September 28, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Good info.

Is there anything we can do with these bikes to help reduce the chance of this type of thing over time? (even though you said it's not very likely) I've seen filters that go into the gas tank, but the ones that I saw weren't available for Yamahas.

Are there any periodic cleaning interfals for the fuel system, considering that FI is so new to motocross?

• Chris Lane

Posted September 29, 2011 - 05:52 AM

Whent from a 07 to a 10 and I love the 10 after its set-up with stiffer fork springs, rear sus. link ,pipe and map. After 68 hours of MX bike still going strong.

• todds924

Posted September 29, 2011 - 10:02 PM

How so? Just curious never heard this before. Fuel pumps main enemy is heat and air (from running out or low on fuel).

Or sitting for a long time of non-use. The ones I see fail are streetbikes mostly. and a couple KX 450's. Many times a good tap with the end of a screwdriver will get them working or with Hondas case on most of the VTX 1800's, they had a service bulletin they wanted you to very briefly hook a 12 volt power source directly to the pump while tapping on it to "free it up". That actually worked 50 percent of the time.
A submerged in fuel pump that has been sitting for awhile WILL get gummed up just like a carburetor.

• tech24

Posted September 30, 2011 - 09:07 AM

Good info.

Is there anything we can do with these bikes to help reduce the chance of this type of thing over time? (even though you said it's not very likely) I've seen filters that go into the gas tank, but the ones that I saw weren't available for Yamahas.

Are there any periodic cleaning interfals for the fuel system, considering that FI is so new to motocross?

What I do is add 1/3 can of BG CF5 fuel treatment to every 5 gallons of fuel. Its a mile detergent and acts as a fuel stabilizer. I mostly use for this purpose as sometimes I get busy and can't ride for a bit and I figure the added cleaning will help. But if you run the bike frequently I doubt any issues would ever occur.

If you were interested in obtaining this chemical I don't know the easiest way to get it. An auto repair shop that sells BG products would be your best bet but not all of them carry CF5. However most carry 44K which is a much more potent fuel system cleaner that you could use but not very often.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.