love my 06 yz-f will i like a 2011 yz-f

31 replies to this topic
  • luvnoldcars

Posted September 12, 2011 - 05:35 PM

looking to buy a new 450 any one that owned an 2006 that now owns a 2011
please leave feedback

• geshields

Posted September 12, 2011 - 05:46 PM

I went from a 2007 to a 2010 and am loving it!!

• dalonar

Posted September 12, 2011 - 05:51 PM

08 to 2010 and wouldn't go back! ps gytr tuner is gods gift to man, so much fun

• todds924

Posted September 12, 2011 - 06:32 PM

I wish I had my 08 with 06 cams and cdi BACK!
I liked it better.

• Monk

Posted September 12, 2011 - 06:48 PM

If your a motorcrosser, new ones are great. If you ride in the bush, there are way better bikes for that. I found I liked the 06-09 better in the trees because they werent as violent. The 10-11 are like light switches and can be quite a PITA between the trees. I didnt buy one because of that reason. They can be massaged but still not to my liking. It is just too much. But I am considering one for practicing on the track.

• aja342

Posted September 12, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I had an '06 and moved to an '11.

I like how the '06 felt in the corners (took some work) and the motor felt a bit stronger. The '11 has taken some tweeking (to get me comfortable) but I can hold a line much better than the '06.

I jumped from my stock bike to a buddies stock '09. His '09 felt more natural and easy to me. Broke in the suspension, adjusted the fork height, played with clickers, and added a YAMAlink... now when I jump on the '09 it feels like a lot of work to get it settled into a corner compaired to the '11. My buddy loves how he can pick whatever rut he wants on my bike and knows it will stay in it.

I wish it did not weigh almost 10 lbs more than the last gen bike and it is not easy to work on, but no doubt I am faster on the '11.

Edited by aja342, September 13, 2011 - 06:26 PM.

• luvnoldcars

Posted September 13, 2011 - 04:03 PM

everyone thanks for your opinions

• SaddleBackAgain

Posted September 13, 2011 - 05:04 PM

I went from an '07 to a '10. Use it strictly for MX (SoCal tracks).
Gotta agree with Pumpkin, the '10 ('11-'12) would be way to sudden for the woods or anything tight. Not sure I'd like it in the desert either - compared to the '06-'09 gen.

The '10 does corner better, and it moves around easily, but I do feel the 10 extra pounds.

It is still good in a straight line like the older bike, and can save you when other bikes wouldn't.

You will like the easier starting of the EFI!
Get the power tuner to mellow the bark, and put a pipe on it if you want any overrev.

But in a perfect world I'd really rather have the '07 power band in the new chassis.
If I were a pro I could use the hard hit off idle, but it tends to screw me up in tight rut berms (I'm learning to leave it in 3rd more, and just trust the motor to pull clean right out of the turn, which it does)

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 13, 2011 - 05:30 PM

I went from a 06 to a 2010 and I liked the 2010 so good I went and got a 2011.

• autorodtechnologies

Posted September 13, 2011 - 05:35 PM

I had a 09, and rode a 2011.. Personally I would take my 09 over the 11. Maybe because i was just more use to it.. but I am not positive, it would take a lot of time to be comfortable on the 11.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted September 13, 2011 - 06:41 PM

I had a 09, and rode a 2011.. Personally I would take my 09 over the 11. Maybe because i was just more use to it.. but I am not positive, it would take a lot of time to be comfortable on the 11.

The only part of the 2010 and 11 that made it hard for me to get comfortable was the stiff suspension. The stock spring on the rear is a 5.6kg and I had to drop down to a 5.4 and that changed everything.
I weigh 175lbs and the 5.4 feels perfect to me. The stock spring liked to beat me to death.

• autorodtechnologies

Posted September 13, 2011 - 06:51 PM

The one I rode was done for 230 lbs. and was way to soft for my likings.. and i'm 200 lbs. Bike felt heavy, cumbersome, didn't seem to corner well..

Although my 09 wasn't the best at cornering either..

I do have to say that i liked it's response to throttle control while air-born. Other than that, it just wasn't for me..

My 450 wasn't my favorite bike ever either though.. just sold it to go back to 2-strokes.

• atropine

Posted September 13, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Went from an '06 to a '10. All desert washes/trail riding here for me. Handling is much more confidence-inspiring and lighter-feeling. "Abruptness" of EFI has been controlled by playing with the tuner. Rode this morning with the "woods" map and it felt fantastic; much more like my previous carb'ed bike but perfectly tuned all the time with no jets to get plugged or require changing throughout the year. I also added a Rekluse Core EXP clutch; I can just leave it in a higher gear and have an easy, smooth transition through the corners. I loved my 2006, but I love the 2010 more.

• autorodtechnologies

Posted September 13, 2011 - 08:17 PM

From what i've been hearing the fuel injection will clog much faster than a carb.. Not sure how true.

• tech24

Posted September 14, 2011 - 06:36 AM

From what i've been hearing the fuel injection will clog much faster than a carb.. Not sure how true.

If anyone cloggs a fuel injector on a high performance motor they seriously need to learn to twist....I just don't see it happening, its under presssure and squirts lots of fuel under WOT. I suppose one could argue leaving it sit could cause an issue but mine sits a lot and I've never had an issue compared to my older bikes.

to the OP, I also am a fan of the new bike contrary to what some say, especially in the woods. I do feel it requires a little more tweaking for the woods but once done its awesome. I also believe I read something about it to be harder to work on which I feel is completely the opposite, never had a machine that was so easy to work on.

• autorodtechnologies

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:10 AM

what i heard is that guys are putting finer fuel filters in or pre filtering the fuel before they put it in on certain models.. I am curious though.. I would agree with you the pressure would blow anything through, but then again with fuel injectors it is a small passage.

• tech24

Posted September 14, 2011 - 07:43 AM

what i heard is that guys are putting finer fuel filters in or pre filtering the fuel before they put it in on certain models.. I am curious though.. I would agree with you the pressure would blow anything through, but then again with fuel injectors it is a small passage.

Yeah forgot about that, some people filter. I don't personally see a need but anything is possible

• Monk

Posted September 14, 2011 - 02:41 PM

If anyone cloggs a fuel injector on a high performance motor they seriously need to learn to twist....I just don't see it happening, its under presssure and squirts lots of fuel under WOT. I suppose one could argue leaving it sit could cause an issue but mine sits a lot and I've never had an issue compared to my older bikes.

to the OP, I also am a fan of the new bike contrary to what some say, especially in the woods. I do feel it requires a little more tweaking for the woods but once done its awesome. I also believe I read something about it to be harder to work on which I feel is completely the opposite, never had a machine that was so easy to work on.

I think you need to read a little about FI. Look at you statement carefully and see what is wrong with what you just said. Now, I give you a straw and ask you to fit a baseball down it, how much pressure do you think you will need to make it work?

More pressure isn't going to make the baseball go through the straw easier, faster, better. Straw has it limitations as does FI. Something as small as a grain of sand or smaller could easily plug the nozzle causing a FI failure. It doesn't take much. Twisting throttle open farther isnt going to help!

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2011 - 06:46 PM

The fact is that fuel injection is less prone to issues of varnish and gumming than carbs are. Simple as that.

• Monk

Posted September 14, 2011 - 06:54 PM

The fact is that fuel injection is less prone to issues of varnish and gumming than carbs are. Simple as that.

Agree 100% but........

It is more sensitive to dirty or bad fuel.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.