Changing Front Sprocket

5 replies to this topic
  • eBayThumper

Posted June 28, 2001 - 07:46 AM

Hey All,

I am going to change my front sprocket today. Is there any trick to swapping them out? I heard there is a tough to remove/replace snap ring...
Advice??

thanks,
J

• Dodger

Posted June 28, 2001 - 08:03 AM

Sup'

Nope, it's actually pretty easy. There is a bendable washer thought, it's just used to smash up against the nut to keep it from turning. It's recommended that you replace it each time you change out your front sprocket, I didn't change mine the first time, but wont use it more than twice.

Late

• yzernie

Posted June 28, 2001 - 08:10 AM

Bend the washer so you can get a socket on the nut. I like to stand on the right side of the bike, put a foot on the brake pedal (to keep the wheel from turning) and bust the nut loose. The same goes for installation.

Enjoy, yzernie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 28, 2001 - 09:38 PM

An impact wrench works nicely for this job.

Loosen the rear wheel and take the chain off the rear sprocket to give you some slack (AFTER you have loosened the countershaft sprocket nut).

And put the chain back on the rear sprocket BEFORE you tighten the countershaft sprocket nut.

[This message has been edited by Rich in Orlando (edited 06-28-2001).]

• Thumper448

Posted June 28, 2001 - 02:52 PM

If you use an impact on the nut I recommend holding the rear brake on at the same time so that you don't slam the tranny around as much. :)

Stace

------------------
Pretty fly for a fat guy!

2001 YZ426 in the garage
2002 CR450F in October :D

• eBayThumper

Posted June 29, 2001 - 06:52 AM

Thanks Everyone!

The back brake trick with a regular old socket did it. I got the new 13 tooth front on and tested it a bit last night. What an improvement! (in my opinion) I can go quite a bit slower without bogging and I have LOTS of wheel lifting torque.

New o-ring chain makes it quiet and I don't have half the chain slap...

WooHoo.
Off to Foresthill this weekend to test it more intensly (sp?)

Thanks again...I don't know what I'd do if I had to take the bike in for every little thing.

J

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.