running without the headlight

24 replies to this topic
  • GuyGraham

Posted September 12, 2011 - 06:42 AM

I had an argument with tree, and the tree won, with the result that the headlight is busted good and proper

If I run it without the headlight fitted, will it damage the stator, seeing as the headlight runs directly off the stator?
Will it cause the reg/rec to overheat?

Its an '08 WR450

• RickyStator

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:42 AM

Wont hurt the stator but the battery may overcharge.

• GuyGraham

Posted September 12, 2011 - 10:25 AM

I thought one half of the OEM stator powered the headlight on AC, and the other half was rectified to DC to charge the battery, and they were two totally separate circuits

Is this incorrect then?

• RickyStator

Posted September 12, 2011 - 11:40 AM

You are correct. The AC regulator and DC rectifier/regulator are built into the same part. Without the load of the headlight on the regulator its more likely to overcharge.

• Deserthound

Posted September 12, 2011 - 05:23 PM

I agree that it could over charge the battery but I've been running mine without the front and rear lights for a while and haven't noticed any problems......... yet.:)

• redhurricane

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:01 PM

Time for the Ricky Stator HID upgrade..... love mine

• WR_Dave

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:02 PM

You are correct. The AC regulator and DC rectifier/regulator are built into the same part. Without the load of the headlight on the regulator its more likely to overcharge.

Why wouldn't the battery just be charged up to the regulators cut off voltage and once it's there the charging amperage would be quite small, wouldn't it ?? -- WR Dave

• Chas_M

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:24 PM

Since there are two separate circuits, I fail to see how battery charging would be affected in the slightest in regard to the headlight being on or off.

• dustdogg

Posted September 12, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Didn't the early WR 450's ('03?) have a headlight switch? I know my '02 WR 426 came with one but it doesn't have a battery. I seem to remember the electric start WR's having one from the factory too, giving you the option to run it or not. Not sure if anything changed with the charging sysyem from then until now, but I do know that now the new WR's do NOT have a switch anymore. Mabey Yamaha was trying to save a few bucks? I personally like to run my headlight at all times so that others can see me, especially in dusty conditions.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted September 12, 2011 - 10:27 PM

I got my 07 wr450 new,put a head light switch on it day 1.Head light is off 90% Bike has a zillion miles on it.No proplem still on stock battery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted September 13, 2011 - 10:11 AM

what happens to the power generated by the stator, that the absent headlight used, which would now not be used if I take off the headlight

is it dissipated as heat by the reg/rec?

• comtnrider

Posted September 13, 2011 - 07:48 PM

I agree with Baja Trail Rider, I too have a 07 WR450. Installed a headlight switch behind the headlight. Almost 4 years and I'm still on the stock bat. Only run it when on some FS roads while connecting trails and ST. I also keep it on a Battery Tender, that may contribute to the long life of the stock bat.

• travertt

Posted September 14, 2011 - 09:15 AM

Have been riding my 04 for the last two months with no headlight or tail light..regular battery...no problems!

• WR_Dave

Posted September 14, 2011 - 03:45 PM

what happens to the power generated by the stator, that the absent headlight used, which would now not be used if I take off the headlight

The stator is a demend device and if there is no demand for power, it simply doesn't produce any because the regulator would turn the circuit off until the power demand went up like if a light was turned on. Kinda like your house, if you don't turn on a light switch, you don't us any electricity and no harm is done anywhere down the line. -- WR Dave

• strtdsmallproject

Posted September 15, 2011 - 05:53 AM

I pulled my light off of my 05 wr450 also and run a number plate. Raceing a headlight bike is expensive. 120 for replacment light and 15 for replacment number plate......no brainer. If i do a night poker run or something i just bolt the light back on and go. No problems so far.

• umu24013

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Yes, it is

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 15, 2011 - 09:08 AM

Ran my '04 WR for 4+ years without the headlight with no problems. Put the headlight back on awhile back and it still worked just fine.

• GuyGraham

Posted September 15, 2011 - 11:30 AM

Ran my '04 WR for 4+ years without the headlight with no problems. Put the headlight back on awhile back and it still worked just fine.

But do the 04's run the headlight directly off the stator, and permanently on, like the 07 & up do?

The stator is a demend device and if there is no demand for power, it simply doesn't produce any because the regulator would turn the circuit off until the power demand went up like if a light was turned on. Kinda like your house, if you don't turn on a light switch, you don't us any electricity and no harm is done anywhere down the line. -- WR Dave

Yes, it is

well, I'm still none the wiser

Surely, a magnet rotating around a coil of wires is gonna generate power whether there is demand or not

Anybody?

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 15, 2011 - 01:36 PM

But do the 04's run the headlight directly off the stator, and permanently on, like the 07 & up do?

Electrical circuit in the '04 is exactly the same as the '07 -11's. In fact all the WR450's from '04 on are the same. The '03 is the same but with a switch on the headlight.

Edited by PBDBLUE, September 15, 2011 - 03:17 PM.

• umu24013

Posted September 17, 2011 - 04:17 AM

well, I'm still none the wiser

Surely, a magnet rotating around a coil of wires is gonna generate power whether there is demand or not

Anybody?

There is a good thread about stators (actually, alternators) here: http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=189734

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.