Trail Tech 3 way switch

1 reply to this topic
  • crash279

Posted September 11, 2011 - 01:02 PM

I am attempting to wire up a Trail Tech 3 way switch onto my WR426. It will be for the headlight and kill switch. Has anybody wired one of these onto their bikes before? I can handle the mechanical side of things, but when it comes to wiring...well, I'm more of a fire hazard. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zibbit u2

Posted September 11, 2011 - 03:48 PM

Ok, here's what I'd do. Keeping in mind that I haven't seen your bike in person, and I'm assuming you own a 2002 WR426 as per the factory service manual. Also I'm assuming you have a H4 headlight with 3 poles, and I'm assuming you have a factory headlight switch mounted on your bars too. ALL of your connections should be behind the headlight. If you connect the wires of the TT switch like I'm laying it out, you'll have headlight off, headlight low, headlight high (optional), brake light on continuously in any light on position (off in off) and a kill switch.

You'll have to make either a solder splice, crimp splice, or someother splice to join two wires together. All connections I'm talking about will be on the factory headlight switch wiring harness.. NOT the bikes wiring harness. ONLY cut the wire you're working on, you should NEVER cut a black wire. And use some heatshrink if you're soldering, or electrical tape. Make sure you protect any exposed wires from abrasion by either wrapping everything in electrical tape or some kind of electrical tubing.

If I say attach on the connector side, then that means connect to the wire coming out of the connector. Obviously, if I say attach to the wiring harness side, then that means connect to the wire leading away from the connector.

If you've got a multimeter handy, then I'll also let you know what you should be reading on the display once the bike is up and running and you make the appropriate switch.

STEP 1: First take off your headlight mask to gain access to the headlight wiring harness.

STEP 2: You should see a 3 pole connector behind there which separates the headlight switch wiring from the main wiring harness, it will have a Yellow, Blue, and Black wire. Disconnect it, and that will be what you're working on.

Posted Image

STEP 3: On the headlight wiring harness, cut the Yellow wire as close to the 3 pole connector and splice that wire to the Red wire coming off your TT 3 position switch. That will be the power in to the switch. Connection is on the connector side of the wire. Multimeter will see 12vDC between that wire and ground.

Posted Image

STEP 4: On the headlight wiring harness, cut the Blue wire again as close to the 3 pole connector and splice the Blue wire from the TT switch. That will be the rear light power lead. Again on the connector side. Multimeter will see 12vDC at the tail light bulb and ground.

Posted Image

STEP 5: Connect the Green Wire on the TT switch to the blue wire which leads to the headlight bulb connector (cut in step 4). That will be the power for the low beam. Obviously that will be on the wiring side. Multimeter will see 12vDC between blue headlight connector and ground/frame, when headlight switch is in low setting.

Posted Image

NOTE : The original headlight switch should've fallen away/been disconnected by this point.

STEP 6: follow the two wires leaving your factory kill switch to a connector. Should be a Black and Black/White wire. Connect those two wires to the Black and White wires from the TT switch. Polarity doesn't matter, just make sure each one is connected.

Posted Image

Optional step: crimp on a female spade connector to a section of wire that will attach to the unused pole on the headlight, and attach that to the Yellow wire on the TT switch. That will give you highbeam power. Multimeter will see 12vDC between that wire and ground/frame when in high setting.

Posted Image

Now make sure everything is tidy behind the headlight mask with wiring. Use zapstraps to hold the wires together and make sure that when you rotate your bars either direction that nothing catches.

Have fun, pm if you've got any other questions.

Edited by rs25, September 11, 2011 - 04:38 PM.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.