Hello everyone.....

7 replies to this topic
  • 1up5dn

Posted June 27, 2001 - 01:11 AM

I'm a newbie to this site. Have been lurking for about 2 days now. Let me introduce myself. My name is Chris (known as "twofast" to anyone here on Insane Speed). I just purchased a 1999 YZ400F about two weeks ago. I am fairly new to dirt. I am a long time road racer, so I have significant riding experience. Hopefully I can get some helpful tips and hopefully I can contribute some things, also.

The main topic I'm following right now is the discussion about mounting a kickstand on a YZ. For me, this is a priority. I hope to have one mounted soon.

Later, Chris....

• 1up5dn

Posted June 27, 2001 - 01:14 AM

BTW, I completely LOVE the bike. What a kick! I am so happy I held out until I could get a thumper. Even though it is over 105 here, I've been going out every week since I bought it and I don't plan on missing any opportunities to go out and blast around for awhile.

• MrMXer

Posted June 27, 2001 - 01:42 AM

Welcome to Thumper Talk..
I personally wouldn't suggest a kick stand for the beast if you are going to be doing any MX.

• 1up5dn

Posted June 27, 2001 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for the advice, but no MX for me, just blasting around some trails and the many hills and valleys around Arizona. Like I said, I'm a road racer, we don't do jumps! :)

We have lots of wide open spaces and pretty technical trails (at least they are technical to me, they may not be to a long time dirt biker).

Thanks again, Chris....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted June 27, 2001 - 02:05 AM

Hi Chris,

Welcome to TTalk. Just to let you know we have covered a lot of subject matter here and you'll have a ton of questions. Before you post, do a search and see if the topic has been covered. If so you may still have questions and feel free to ask/post.

Enjoy we have some great guys here, some are very knowledgable and most have good input.

Bill :)

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP, 48PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• fastkevin

Posted June 27, 2001 - 04:57 AM

Ah hah! Roadracers do jump. It's called Motard! You must race CCS (Arizona). Ever race at Willow Springs? You can actually road race your 400. I put a D/T tire on the back, a Sirac on the front , and raced the Streets. Firebird looks like a track that the YZ might do well on too.

• 1up5dn

Posted June 27, 2001 - 05:05 AM

Hey Kevin, yes I race at Firebird and lots of other tracks including Daytona and Loudon. As for Willow, I've only done a practice day there, never a race (yet). A number of our local guys have road raced dirtbikes to get extra points at the end of the season to go for the overall points championship. Just when you think you've seen it all, someone brings something out that shocks you.

One of the main reasons I wanted to get a dirt bike was to keep in shape for road racing and hopefully hone some new skills. It is also turning out to be a WAY cheaper hobby!

• fastkevin

Posted June 27, 2001 - 06:35 PM

It's pretty common for roadracers to ride mx for training. It's a great workout, and gets you more comfortable with the bike moving around beneath you. Roadracing the YZ (any dirt bike for that matter) does the same thing, but does it on pavement. You can spin it up, power slide, back it in, all with more control because of the rider position and wider bars. I'd like to do it more, but already race once a month with WSMC (YZ no work on big track:-) If you plan to come out to WIllow this year, send me an e-mail.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.