street worthy 99 yz400f

49 replies to this topic
  • fox400f

Posted September 08, 2011 - 09:49 PM

ok cool iall check in to those radiators and yeah thats a good idea with the catch can iall probly pick one of those up cheap. o yeah so i checked on the gear swaps and i read that u could swap wr400,wr426,wr450 into the yz400 and i was wondering if u guys new by chance witch one has the highest gearing?

• QuietFlight

Posted September 08, 2011 - 10:01 PM

if you did your research correctly my advice is to use a takeoff off of the newest compatible bike. the differences between the WR's probably aren't that noticeable.

• fox400f

Posted September 08, 2011 - 10:04 PM

aight iall check into it some more to make sure but yeah that sounds like a good idea

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2011 - 06:58 AM

Before you spend any money on the wrong stuff, the only gears you can use from a WR anything are those from the WR400/426. None of the gears from any Yamaha 450 will fit.

Changing 4th and 5th will not resolve the total problem with the bike being unsuitable for the road, either. (In 5th gear, the bike will be turning 7000 RPM at 65 mph) The WR was not even all that good as a road bike as it was; it was just tolerable, and not sold primarily as a true dual sport. By the time you get done with this project, what with the electrical system upgrade, etc., you will have handicapped your dirt bike, have a road bike that gets no more than 20 mpg, is uncomfortable to ride on the highway for any distance, and you will have spent enough on the project to have simply bought a second bike for the purpose.

But don't let me talk you out of it.

• dalonar

Posted September 09, 2011 - 09:16 AM

Before you spend any money on the wrong stuff, the only gears you can use from a WR anything are those from the WR400/426. None of the gears from any Yamaha 450 will fit.

Changing 4th and 5th will not resolve the total problem with the bike being unsuitable for the road, either. (In 5th gear, the bike will be turning 7000 RPM at 65 mph) The WR was not even all that good as a road bike as it was; it was just tolerable, and not sold primarily as a true dual sport. By the time you get done with this project, what with the electrical system upgrade, etc., you will have handicapped your dirt bike, have a road bike that gets no more than 20 mpg, is uncomfortable to ride on the highway for any distance, and you will have spent enough on the project to have simply bought a second bike for the purpose.

exactly what i was trying to say only better spoken!

• CRF100biker

Posted September 09, 2011 - 02:38 PM

this is why when you ask questions on forums nobody gives you answers. you can do anything you want with enough money, including get a yz on the road. however, the end result will still not be good. the yz was built as a motocross racing machine. meaning it was designed to race around a closed course motocross track. i think it already has a hard enough time cutting it as a woods bike.

it'd be like buying a spec miata, driving it on the streets to look cool and fast, then still getting your doors blown off by every minivan.

besides, do you have a certificate of title? if the mso states that it was an off-road motorcycle then chances are your state won't let you register it. it also depends on who is working the registry that day.

another issue that is funky with the yz being a street bike. it doesn't like consistent throttle. it likes being opened and closed often. try riding your bike down the road at one throttle setting and you'll feel it cutting in and out of power.

• fox400f

Posted September 09, 2011 - 04:42 PM

=(
why well it only get 20mpg? lol thats kind of kills it for me...
is there any way to resolve that issue? also iall post it up for trade on here n hopefuly i can get a allredy dual sport for it... but im kind of stuck with this bike unless some one can come pick it up and drop theres off cuz i dont have any form of transportation for it...

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2011 - 05:24 PM

The fuel economy is due to the gearing and the nature of the engine. You might improve it to almost 30, but not without more spending.

Place your ad in the TT Classifieds.

• fox400f

Posted September 10, 2011 - 12:43 PM

lol ok well if i can get 30+ mpg then i wont mind that how would i go about improving the mpg also id like to be able to go over 65mph on the road... is that possible?

• CRF100biker

Posted September 10, 2011 - 05:32 PM

you really won't get any better gas mileage. 20mpg i feel is conservative. i can drain a tank in no time on my 400f if i'm really on the throttle. at that rate i'd be spending $8 to fill up every 1.5 hours or so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2011 - 11:06 AM

If you change the exhaust cam to one from a WR and you use the WR 4th and 5th gears, and you gear the bike at 15/45, you will be turning 6000 RPM at 65 MPH, and possibly get 25 mpg doing it. Your fuel consumption will increase exponentially with speed because of the engine speed.

• kmk09

Posted September 15, 2011 - 04:57 PM

ok so ive read all of this so far, and i dont know what is going on first of all with the 400, i have a 426, street legal, my gearing is 16/48, stock is 14/51 i do belive, still have the yz trans, and my bike does 96.5 mph on trail tech, and i let off, couldnt take the wind, and i get 60-65mpg on the road, even with the taller gearing it still hangs the tire in all gears, taking off is a bit of a challenge with a stiff clutch, but its worth it, i trail ride as well, its a bit ruff with such tall gears, but doable, if i ever thrash my trans ill put a wr trans in it for the lower 1st gear for trail riding

• fox400f

Posted September 15, 2011 - 11:23 PM

lol ok, so u r saying youve basically done what i was talkin about? An u got good mpg?? and it ran fine???

• 1991CR250RBEAST

Posted September 15, 2011 - 11:30 PM

Why do people hate punctuation,grammar,and spelling so much? This puzzles me.

• grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2011 - 07:02 AM

Why do people hate punctuation,grammar,and spelling so much? This puzzles me.

Laziness, usually, and/or they're using a phone. Most of the time, they don't understand how much it calls their intelligence and credibility into question. But if you're going to critique someone's writing, you should remember to hit the space bar between each word. :)

• 1991CR250RBEAST

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:18 AM

Laziness, usually, and/or they're using a phone. Most of the time, they don't understand how much it calls their intelligence and credibility into question. But if you're going to critique someone's writing, you should remember to hit the space bar between each word. :)

I can understand about typing on the phone,it's a real pain but I was not aware you needed a space after a comma for the next word,Stupid me.:)

Edited by BallooTheBear, September 16, 2011 - 08:19 AM.
Typo,HAHA

• kmk09

Posted September 16, 2011 - 10:59 AM

yeah it runs awesome, only problem i have had is an oring in the carb takin a shit, and tweeking the hell outa it when i endo'd it and broke my ankle, other than that it is awesome, i ride with rockets all the time, dont get me wrong they still leave me, but i can ride with them, i dont know that i would ride the freeway all the time, but for an hr or so i dont think would hurt, if you think your killing it just back off and take the slow lane for a bit, pull over and stop if you think its getting hot, just use common sense i would say

• QuietFlight

Posted September 16, 2011 - 11:17 AM

When I'm on my rocket 160-170 is not out of the question and 120 is frequent...so maybe for the first 30 seconds you'd "Hang"...

Listen to the popular consensus, not one guy who is like "my bike runs ok on the street with only sprockets"...

If you convert the YZ against the popular advice and are unhappy about it you only have yourself to blame. As for me, first hand, my YZ with stock gearing and fresh wiseco rebuild is AWFUL on the road. The WR stuff, rad, etc. MIGHT make it BEARABLE to you....

Good luck man with whatever you decide, but at least we won't blow smoke up your ass... And sorry to contradict you kmk...

• fox400f

Posted September 17, 2011 - 06:09 PM

well idk i think i might try it cause hes the only person who has actually tryed it and claims it works.

so just to make sure im going to buy the right thing this is well work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2c5c7ba108

• kmk09

Posted September 17, 2011 - 07:34 PM

dont worry about it QuitetFlight, im not the type of person to get bent outa shape on fourms, the trueth is my bike runs awesome, trails or street, i am however the only one i know of that has a yz on the street around where i live, there may be a reason for that, but what ever the reason my bike still doesnt lag anything other than maybe a cup holder on the street, with that being said fox400f, take all of this into mind while converting if you continue to do so, there are as we can all tell many people that havent had good luck with doing this, but there are some that have, as for me "blowing smoke" up your ass, all i can say is think about it befor you do it, if money isnt an issue do it, if you dont like it you just made it that much easyer to move and buy one you do like, for me i wouldnt trade my yz 426 for any thing else, i have a '72 sportster and a zx7r, and 9 times out of 10 im on my yz, hate the rocket, and the spotster is a trip (right side shift, drum breaks, shitty susp.)

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.