Synthetic oil causes clutch slipping?

24 replies to this topic
  • Ryder988

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:15 PM

So I was searching through oil threads and have seen a few people saying that synthetic oil is bad and causes clutch slipping is this true or is this misleading info.

• poliisi2

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:21 PM

I got seriosly gearbox problem because synthetic oil or maybe it was clutch what makes problems "miss shifts and 4th gear pops out" Anyway change oil back normal 10/40 mineral oil didnt have problems so far.

• Falcon991

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:25 PM

Half true.
Synthetic oils have more lubricity. In other words, they are more "slippery" than mineral oils on a per-centistoke basis (a 40-weight synthetic oil lubricates better than a 40-weight conventional oil.)

The slipping clutch scenario comes more from the additives in automotive synthetics than from anything you would put in a motocross bike.

The takeaway is this = synthetics are good. Fine for your clutch. Just make sure you are using a MOTORCYCLE synthetic, not one for passenger cars.

• spdnjoe

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:34 PM

I've been running Rotella T full synthetic for 2 yrs now in my 426 with no problems. Also in my street bikes.

My brother runs it in both sides of his CRF450R with no problems either.

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2011 - 02:00 PM

It isn't even half true. Synthetic oil is no slipperier than petroleum unless the base has been modified to be that way. Oils labeled API Energy Conserving II (ECII) MIGHT cause a clutch to slip because of the frictiom modifiers they contain, but they won't necessarily do that. Since virtually all ECII oils are synthetic, people with a poor grasp of logic equate synthetics with clutch trouble.

Any oil of any kind that carries labeling stating that it conforms to JASO MA or MA1/MA2 will absolutely not cause clutch slippage; that's what MA means. Any number of good synthetic motorcycle oils carry this certification. I have used nothing but Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle oil or Mobil 1 Racing 4T for so long I forget when I even started, never any clutch or trans trouble.

Occasionally, you will run across a clutch that "doesn't like" a particular oil to the extent that it makes it drag or grab or some such, but in theses cases, the clutch usually has a problem, not the oil.

• cherrypicker7

Posted September 07, 2011 - 05:50 AM

I've run Amsoil 15W40 in both my 07 WR250 and the 05 WR450, without any problems and have experienced better shifting, the 05 has a Dynaring autoclutch in it, and although there is some slippage there, I attribute it to the autoclutch and that is what it is supposed to do.

• jratcliffe3

Posted September 07, 2011 - 11:20 AM

Occasionally, you will run across a clutch that "doesn't like" a particular oil to the extent that it makes it drag or grab or some such, but in theses cases, the clutch usually has a problem, not the oil.

If changing the oil works, its just buying time, not fixing the issue.

I've used Castrol Power 1, which is fully synthetic for the past 7 years or so, and have never had any issues in either my honda's or my yam.

I'd never go near a full mineral oil, they arent nearly as good.

• Gunner354

Posted September 07, 2011 - 12:22 PM

I ran Mobil 1 15-50 back in 04 for a couple of years in my wr250 with zero problems. I then switched to Redline and have never had an issue.

• sconeracing

Posted September 08, 2011 - 08:45 AM

I have ran castrol GTX oil for years with no problems what so ever

• Boostpig

Posted September 09, 2011 - 01:20 PM

I know it definatley makes my gearbox feel notchy after the first couple of rides!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2011 - 03:14 PM

I know it definatley makes my gearbox feel notchy after the first couple of rides!

Every synthetic oil made does this to your gearbox?

• JamesYZF

Posted September 11, 2011 - 04:10 PM

Only oil I use in my YZ250F and my YZ450F is Yamalube 10w40, and I have never had any problems running it, and its a helluva lot cheaper than synthetic. I was going to switch to synthetic, but the mechanics said to never use it. That was enough for me and won't be using synthetic ever in my machines.

• Gunner354

Posted September 11, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Really? Tried every synthetic ever made? Redline oil does not!

• QuietFlight

Posted September 11, 2011 - 06:39 PM

Really? Tried every synthetic ever made? Redline oil does not!

I believe you are making the same point.

My Amsoil synthetic has OUTSTANDING wet clutch performance, as do all of the other reputable Moto blend synthetics on the market.

• Gunner354

Posted September 11, 2011 - 08:37 PM

I believe you are making the same point.

My Amsoil synthetic has OUTSTANDING wet clutch performance, as do all of the other reputable Moto blend synthetics on the market.

Yes, trying to emphasize a point.

• QuietFlight

Posted September 11, 2011 - 09:41 PM

i wouldn't put it past gray to have tried just about every synthetic over the years...

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2011 - 10:22 PM

No I haven't, and neither has the poster claiming that "synthetic oil" makes his gearbox notchy. Maybe the one he tried did, but not because it was synthetic.

• YZ426_F

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:08 PM

I come across customers all the time asking the same questions about oil. They all wonder whats the difference between car oil and motorcycle oils, full syn vs mineral.

I just shake my head when I hear someone admit they run the cheapest oil they could find at autozone in there R1, Yz, ect.. just becuase they think Motul 300v, or even factory synthic motorcycle oils are to expensive and a waste of money.

I've been running Motul 300v (10w40 full syn double ester) for awhile now and have had zero problems with it.

• gscx

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:12 PM

My head hurts after reading this thread....

• YZ426_F

Posted September 22, 2011 - 06:16 PM

My head hurts after reading this thread....

Sorry, it was my first post. I figured I'd pop my cherry with something I deal with everyday at work.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.