Gearing

5 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted September 06, 2011 - 06:42 AM

Trying to decide what I want to do and looking for some input.
98% of my riding is trails, and some of the trails around here are fairly tight. I haven't been doing much riding the last several years so my skill level isn't what it should be, but I'm having problems stalling my bike in tight/technical stuff.

06 YZ450F
12/49 gearing
GYT-R heavy flywheel weight

Those are the pertinent mods for this discussion. I'm considering going lower on the gearing, but in searching through the forum it seems like a lot of guys are running essentially the same gearing as I am with good results. I had my old 00 426 geared at 13/52 and really liked how that worked, so I'd be looking at 12/52 or 13/55 on this bike to get a similar ratio. Will a 55 tooth rear sprocket even fit? Or should I just keep grinding away trying to improve my skill level so I don't ride like such a goon? Some jetting adjustments may help also, I know my jetting isn't spot on.
I never really felt like the flywheel weight did much for this bike. I know many people have reported big changes after installing the heavy flywheel, but I just never noticed much change. Any ideas why that might be the case?

• Wiz636

Posted September 06, 2011 - 07:08 AM

That's pretty low gearing already! Isn't the bike pretty herky-jerky like that?

I am inclined to think that with gearing that low that you might even be a little more prone to stalling in certain situations? Like if you accidentally brake stall coming into a corner there is less chance for the inertia/traction of the rear wheel to turn the motor over.

Although it may sound counter-intuitive, I would suggest going with a little higher gearing (stock 13/49, or maybe 13/50) and focus on clutching.

Or, best solution of all...Rekluse!

• cowboyona426

Posted September 06, 2011 - 07:41 AM

Its a little jerky right off the bottom, but once you get rolling its not too bad. I was out at Batey Bould riding yesterday and got to thinking about it. I think a lot of the problems I was having stalling was just because I'm out of practice in a big way.
The clutch in this bike has never been quite right and that could be part of the problem too. I should just get a new clutch kit for it and see if gets any better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hurricane

Posted September 06, 2011 - 09:53 AM

I'm running 13/51 on my 2007 with a FWW and it works great for everything from brush busting my own trail to wide open 4 wheeler trails.

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2011 - 10:13 AM

Or, best solution of all...Rekluse!

For what you're talking about, +1:thumbsup:

• 2smokeforlife

Posted September 06, 2011 - 10:21 AM

I would also try turning your idle up a little bit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.